• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Beejs Blog update: Smoke & Instruments

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I have realized that the problem of being at around 70% done really means that you have 70% to go :0| it is becoming apparent that although I am sticking on bits for the last time, there is SO MUCH of it. Still, I am now at that sweet stage where a weekends work visually shows dividends.

Of course, I am my own tormenter, why can't I just stick things on instead of trying to tweak something? Must be the individualist in me...

Smoke System

I fitted the smoke system. I didn't like the weight of the supplied pump, so I did a little digging on the web and decided to swap it out for something half the weight; I was already feeling guilty (empty weight) about adding a smoke system, so losing 2.5 pounds was a powerful incentive.

Fitting the 1.5 inch external oil fill tube has been a pain. The tube had to run in a certain place at a certain angle so as to minimize a passenger fouling it with their leg. I made a custom offset steel bracket linking two adel clamps. The external filler cap was another challenge; the cap flange of course is flat, the sheet metal where it sits in has a slight curve to it, screwing the flange on would force the sheet metal flat, not good. So,I made a flange washer for the inside that was curved and epoxied the back side flat so the nuts had a flat surface to hit against, then I made a flat flange washer for the outside that I pressed into place on the sheet metal with epoxy filler (I waxed the sheet metal first so as to allow a release). This gives me a solid fixture without affecting the shape of the side skin. Since the external filler cap sits about 1/4" proud of the skin, I think I am going to glass on a mini fairing at the front and to the rear of the filler cap.

Instrument panels

I had to go back to the drawing board. My lovely white gauges are now no more (sold them). I have gone back to black faces and a complete change out of what instruments were in the panel. There were a several reasons for this...I had made the rear panel about 3 years ago, then 2 years ago I added a steel tubed passenger shoulder harness truss right behind the instruments AND without thinking about what minimal clearance I had 3 years back, I moved the panel position 1/2" forward to give me a bit more eye room.That 1/2" really messed up things. Another reason for a new panel was that I had originally integrated a Lowrance Airmap 600c not realizing how long the build would actually take, resulting in me having a very antiquated GPS in the panel by time the plane flew. Another reason: I had made the white faces for the gauges myself, and the process took many many hours...I just couldn't go through that process again. And the final reason: I ended up with a gray interior with all the trim being black, so the black instruments actually looked pretty good in there. Final instrument choices were a good mix of analogue and electrical. I really like the compact footprint of the FL-760 radio and the MGL E-3 engine monitor's capabilities with audible warnings. The passenger gets one instrument, an electronic dual airspeed indicator/altimeter.

I now have all the instruments ready for the panels. That in itself is a mini fiscal milestone. I have the sheet aluminium in stock, so remaking the panel is looming. I have managed to color match the gray powder coat and got me some 2 part delfleet paint mixed ready for the panels.

pump222.jpg

hose222.jpg

finalpanel222.jpg

Latest posts

Back