Beej's Paint

Discussion in 'Fabric & Paint' started by Beej, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Apr 23, 2018 #1

Beej

Beej

Beej

Creator of this place Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Since I am using the dark gray ekofill primer for the fabric, I decided to use the dark gray water born Stewart System Epoxy that matches in color, for the sheet metal. Sure is nice to spray with no fumes! And, I still can't believe how many inspection covers I have :0|

What is odd, is that I am a relatively newbie to spraying (only done small pieces now and again over the years), yet I have now done two major spray sessions and have not one run or sag. Must be beginners luck. I thought maybe I was too far away, but I keep checking the thumb_to_little_ finger distance......

Img_0652.jpg

VH-ZSJ, taff, smizo and 3 others like this.
  2. Apr 23, 2018 #2

biplanebob

biplanebob

biplanebob

Member Supporting Member

from what I have read, the water bourn paints spray differently than solvent based paints........you did not have any old spray habits to unlearn .

3. Apr 23, 2018 #3

Beej

Beej

Beej

That info does have merit. For my fiber glass stuff, I had to first use a PPG shop line hi-build primer to help with the pin holes, etc. This session involved a lot of vertical surfaces (more chance of runs). This too turned out well. I am using a pretty expensive devilbiss tekna prolite gun, maybe the gun quality helps....

Pic shows the hi-build primer, before the dark gray epoxy was sprayed on. I have many sessions ahead of me, I am sure I will get my fair share of bad days.... :mad:

[​IMG]

smizo, ernstfokker and Neil like this.
  4. Apr 23, 2018 #4

biplanebob

biplanebob

biplanebob

Member Supporting Member

Gun quality definitely helps......I painted my first car with a Craftsman spray gun that came as a package with the "on sale" compressor.

When I painted my biplane, I bought a Binks #7 gun.......a very obvious difference in quality.

Bob

5. Apr 23, 2018 #5

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

Nice work Beej, glad your having fun (good experiences) with the painting.
    And soloing with a primer is the best practice.

Yes, a quality spray gun (or any tool) matters.
    But having the correct needle, fluid tip and air cap for the material being sprayed is the secret.

Remember the primer is a high build material that needs to be sanded, it's not designed for best flow characteristics.
    The top coat is designed for best flow, otherwise you will have too much orange peel effect that will be enhanced with the gloss of the paint.

Maybe a smaller size tip and needle and/or a finer break up of atomizing with a different air cap for the top coat?
    No idea but keep good observation of what's going on when the time comes.

6. Apr 24, 2018 #6

Beej

Beej

Beej

Me will be following the top coat instructions when I get to that ;0)

smizo likes this.
  7. Apr 24, 2018 #7

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

Supporting Member Supporting Member

That’s all I did...turned out ok.

I think the instructions are different now though. I also used the Tekna Prolite. It is a great gun.

8. Apr 24, 2018 #8

Jerry

Jerry

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder - 176% completed

Hey Beej... please keep track of the taping off of your design. I’d be interested in knowing how many hours.

9. Apr 26, 2018 #9

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

Beej, are you going to be shooting white directly over the charcoal?

10. Apr 26, 2018 #10

taff

taff

taff

Good point, the top coat white could be transparent. That could contribute to a airplane load of coats being sprayed.
    I'm sure someone here has experience with the white?

11. Apr 26, 2018 #11

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

The manual says to top coat with smoke gray ekoprime before painting white. My paint guy says to just plan on an extra coat of paint. I’m not sure which way to go. I too chose the charcoal color ekopoxy to match the ekofill but it seems that now I’ll need an extra coat of paint or primer? What is better? Use an extra coat of paint or an extra coat of primer?

12. Apr 26, 2018 #12

Beej

Beej

Beej

Yes. I have it from good authority from 2 pro airplane painters that the top coat I am using will cover that gray, no problem, being a hi-solids top coat. The paint is Imron Axalta.

13. Apr 26, 2018 #13

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

I have shot a test with Ranthane and it definitely took extra paint to cover. That stuff is pretty thin.

14. Apr 26, 2018 #14

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

15. Apr 26, 2018 #15

ultimate200

ultimate200

ultimate200

The ppg defleet white i used covered with 2 coats...my lower wings are all white

16. Apr 26, 2018 #16

taff

taff

taff

[Quote Good point, the top coat white could be transparent. That could contribute to a airplane load of coats being sprayed.
    I'm sure someone here has experience with the white? ]

Sorry, I should have said "experience with Stewarts waterborne white top coat"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The thing is, If you compare 3 or 4 different manufacturers of paint and then different resin bases of one manufacturer, you can get a variety of transparency (covering power)
    Then if you look at different white's (some may have a slight grey to yellow cast) than this can influence the coverage, being better.

In the car repair business, we had for the toner base assortment (mixing machine) high hiding white (that was used mainly for white colors) and a mixing or transparent white (that was used as one of the toners in a colored formula)

I remember when we first came out with a water borne basecoat the whites were transparent but in time the lab delivered a better covering white pigment.

17. Apr 26, 2018 #17

Morphewb

Morphewb

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Hate to hear that. It means Randthane is most likely now just Aerothane repackaged. I used some Randthane six years ago it it definitely wasn't Aerothane in a different can. Covered great.

smizo likes this.
  18. Apr 27, 2018 #18

Don Adamson

Don Adamson

Don Adamson

Ranthane is still good stuff. Painting red on my Apache now. Two coats is enough but doing three. Easy to spray, I add a little kicker and heat so I can handle it within 8 hours. I mix it 2:1:1+a shot of kicker.

Spraying Aerothane silver on the bottom of the wings, now that stuff is thin.

OK Beej you can have your thread back...

19. May 1, 2018 #19

Beej

Beej

Beej

Well, I sprayed my first ever top coat of catalyzed paint. It went really well. Over the dark gray primer, it took one tack coat and 3 medium wet coats. I think it covered in 2 medium wet coats as per instructions, but I wasn't sure if my visual perception was running riot or not with the color depth after 2 med' coats, so I gave it a 3rd. These were not cross coats, but I did spray perpendicular with each coat. Again, I seem to have gotten lucky, with no runs, sags, or dry spots. The only thing I didn't like was, there is some very light dust speckles on the horizontal pieces, could that be paint in the air settling? Anyways, they seem light enough to buff out. Wheel pants turned out awesome.

Img_0653.jpg

Img_0654.jpg

Dennis Flamini, smizo, Jerry and 4 others like this.
  20. May 1, 2018 #20

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Looks nice.