Bending brake isnt giving me the right bend radiu

Discussion in 'Pitts Model 12' started by FastEddie, Aug 5, 2010.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 5, 2010 #1

FastEddie

FastEddie

FastEddie

Hey All,

I had a problem with getting the correct bend radius when making my heeltrays in a bending brake (not a press brake) and I wondered if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I needed to make a 90 degree bend with a .125" radius in a piece of 0.050" thick 3003-H14 aluminum.

I adjusted the setback to 0.175" (0.125" radius plus 0.050" material thickness) on the bending brake. When I made the bend, the material bent right at the clamping point with a really tight radius (0.025-0.050") instead of the 0.125" that I should have seen. The grain of the material was perpendicular to the bend line.

Do I need to also insert a piece of material with a 0.125" radiused edge into thebrake on top of the aluminumto act as a 'former' to keep the radius correct? Will I have this same problem with steel as well?

I'm really confused. I followed the set-up instructions to the letter and even double-checked everything, but the bend kept coming out way too tight.

Thanks in Advance,

Ed

2. Aug 5, 2010 #2

Beej

Beej

Beej

Creator of this place Staff Member Administrator Moderator

<Do I need to also insert a piece of material with a 0.125" radiused edge into thebrake on top of the aluminumto act as a 'former' to keep the radius correct? Will I have this same problem with steel as well?
    That's how I did it..I used MDF with a round-over bit in a router..

3. Aug 6, 2010 #3

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Often you can bend one or more pieces of sheet metal in the brake and use these as your radius bar. Here a single piece of .063" used as a radius bar for .093" material. It's just a quick example from our pile of "tooling" for the brake. This is easy to do if you have some scrap sheet metal laying around.

[​IMG]

...................Bill

Edited by: cwilliamrose

taff and christopher like this.
  4. Aug 6, 2010 #4

FastEddie

FastEddie

FastEddie

Thanks guys. I admit I was surprised when the bend radiusjust didn't work out automatically. That's what happens when you forget to adjust for "Murphy's Law".

5. Dec 21, 2012 #5

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing this idea. Will keep it in mind.

6. Jan 4, 2013 #6

verticalroll

verticalroll

verticalroll

Don't forget about the bend radius allowance you will find this in tony bingelis book on bend radius application