Bending brake isnt giving me the right bend radiu

Discussion in 'Pitts Model 12' started by FastEddie, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Aug 5, 2010 #1

FastEddie

FastEddie

FastEddie

Hey All,

I had a problem with getting the correct bend radius when making my heeltrays in a bending brake (not a press brake) and I wondered if anyone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I needed to make a 90 degree bend with a .125" radius in a piece of 0.050" thick 3003-H14 aluminum.

I adjusted the setback to 0.175" (0.125" radius plus 0.050" material thickness) on the bending brake. When I made the bend, the material bent right at the clamping point with a really tight radius (0.025-0.050") instead of the 0.125" that I should have seen. The grain of the material was perpendicular to the bend line.

Do I need to also insert a piece of material with a 0.125" radiused edge into thebrake on top of the aluminumto act as a 'former' to keep the radius correct? Will I have this same problem with steel as well?

I'm really confused. I followed the set-up instructions to the letter and even double-checked everything, but the bend kept coming out way too tight.

Thanks in Advance,

Ed

2. Aug 5, 2010 #2

Beej

Beej

Beej

Creator of this place Staff Member Administrator Moderator

<Do I need to also insert a piece of material with a 0.125" radiused edge into thebrake on top of the aluminumto act as a 'former' to keep the radius correct? Will I have this same problem with steel as well?
    That's how I did it..I used MDF with a round-over bit in a router..

3. Aug 6, 2010 #3

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Often you can bend one or more pieces of sheet metal in the brake and use these as your radius bar. Here a single piece of .063" used as a radius bar for .093" material. It's just a quick example from our pile of "tooling" for the brake. This is easy to do if you have some scrap sheet metal laying around.

[​IMG]

...................Bill

Edited by: cwilliamrose

taff and christopher like this.
  4. Aug 6, 2010 #4

FastEddie

FastEddie

FastEddie

Thanks guys. I admit I was surprised when the bend radiusjust didn't work out automatically. That's what happens when you forget to adjust for "Murphy's Law".

5. Dec 21, 2012 #5

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

Thanks for sharing this idea. Will keep it in mind.

6. Jan 4, 2013 #6

verticalroll

verticalroll

verticalroll

Don't forget about the bend radius allowance you will find this in tony bingelis book on bend radius application