• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Brand New Pitts Builder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmorgan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Well I finally pulled the trigger on getting a rib kit for the Wolf S1 Wings. Just wanted to thank Chris and all the folks at Griggs for being helpful and responsive; I regularly ask more than my fair share of questions.

My original plan was to build up new wings and buy a flying Pitts, fly it for a season, then change out the wings etc. I have since started looking in to building up a new one. I figure the total build will cost me about 4000 hours (hopefully less if I can buy parts that are pre fabricated where possible 51% rule will be followed).

I wanted to get some advice now on the gear options. I've done some research on the site. I would ultimately like to use the Wolf gear for the better ground handling characteristics (wider base) but am not sure how that fits in with a Steen fuselage assembly for example. My plan (money notwithstanding) is to use a composite constant speed prop from Whirlwind, although I might end up with a Catto for weight savings instead. Engine will be a stock (or similar) 360 with 180 HP (with the heavy flange).

Lastly, I know the constant speed and Wolf wings are solid performers, probably out of my league for now. So before I fly it I will get a proper checkout in a two place Pitts for as many hours as I need and then am considering buying an old S1C for 6 months or a year to get used to a single hole Pitts. I'm sure the whole process building and flying will be a blast, but safety is my number one concern.

Thanks in advance for any and all insight!

Latest posts

Back