• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Broken empennage tie rod (fly wire)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybolt Don

Reaction score

I experienced a tie rod (I'm trying to use the correct terminology) breakage Monday. The broken rod is located on the forward, lower, port horiz stab. The break is 5.5" from the (upper)rod end in the flat. There was no deformation nor nicks etc. The break is on a ~45 degree angle. The aircraft was built by Jerry Cornelius of <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Alabama</st1:place></st1:State> in 1980. Cornelius was a somewhat prolific Skybolt builder. The rod is original. I cannot determine the manufactured but there is no "BM" mark which I understand is typical of Brunton products. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
The aircraft was in level unaccelerated flight at 2500' at about 140 mph. I had just departed Merritt Island (FL) airport and was crossing the <st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Indian River</st1:place> which exhibited its usual moderate thermal bumps. The sensation was like having a tow rope break but notdramatic. I did not know what it was and since it was so "un"dramatic I continued the flight and did several aerobatic maneuvers.

Upon landing there was the two pieces still in there relative position. There are no marks on the aircraft from flailing wire.

I took the broken part over to Steen Aero Lab in <st1:City w:st="&#111;n"><st1:place w:st="&#111;n">Palm Bay</st1:place></st1:City> and talked with David who had no opinion on the “why” of the break. I’ve owned the aircraft since 1994 when it had 364 hours total. I knew the previous owners and they are like me in that the aerobatic maneuvers are limited to +3.5+ and 0 g’s; not very demanding stuff for a Skybolt.

Are there any other similar occurrences in Forum-land? Also, does anyone have a 39” tail wire that want to sell since I am grounded for at least 12 weeks.

20100303_170015_skybolt_wire_2.JPG

20100303_165851_skybolt_wire.JPG

Latest posts

Back