Canopy Build Duration? GRRR

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Beej, Jan 22, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Jan 22, 2018 #1

Beej

Beej

Beej

Creator of this place Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I am finishing up the primer coats on the fabric before the final paint spray stage. I keep jumping back over to the canopy to finish up some glass work around the canopy frame, but it's never-ending and kicking my ass! From start to finish, I bet I have 600 hours total in messing with a canopy option. :mad:

It is sobering to think, one can build some quick-build airplane kits in the time it has taken me to get to the end of this canopy thing....

I know a local guy who is a hired gun for RV builders - he makes a semi-living by doing the 'hard parts' of an RV build, firewall forward and canopies. He once said he charges ballpark around 5K to install a canopy complete. I thought that sounded high at the time, but now I see why......

Anyone care to comment on how long it took them to do their canopy?

philly5g likes this.
  2. Jan 22, 2018 #2

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

Supporting Member Supporting Member

I had about 220 hours in fitting mine, but that was from a kit with very good directions.

600 hours doesn't sound out of line.

philly5g likes this.
  3. Jan 22, 2018 #3

littletootpilot

littletootpilot

littletootpilot

Registered Users

beej
    your in Texas what do you need a canopy for? trying to loose weight while flying in the summer heat? lol I love the open cockpit. when I lived in Texas even on the cold days I could still fly open with out being to cold.
    even being back up in Michigan I don't know if I will build a canopy.

4. Jan 22, 2018 #4

mbarker

mbarker

mbarker

Registered Users Supporting Member

My Eagle canopy was a project.... but the instructions are fantastic. I have no idea how many hours but it all went according to plan. And it all works fine.

5. Jan 22, 2018 #5

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

Are you talking about Marcus being the local guy doing the RV stuff? Did you see that awesome forward sliding RV canopy he did :)
    I will have a beer or two for you guys. There is no way I would have the patience.

6. Jan 22, 2018 #6

kjkimball

kjkimball

kjkimball

Been there...Done that... Lifetime Supporter

When I developed the Model 12 kit and designed the canopy system for it, I decided the canopies would only be available as fully assembled, in primer. The builder fits it to the airframe, then fits up and installs the included windshield, windshield base metal and turtle deck to match the canopy. Why did I do it this way? Because of experiences like you are having. The eagle canopy takes longer to build than the lower wings. We have built and sold over 100 canopies for the Model 12. Never wasted a bubble. This way, we avoided having to send builders replacement parts when they screwed up.

7. Jan 22, 2018 #7

Cary Cumberland

Cary Cumberland

Cary Cumberland

Cary Supporting Member

I would agree , the eagle canopy for me was the toughest part of the build so far, directions were great but wow took a long time. Im painting feathers right now, I may change my mind when that process is over :)

philly5g likes this.
  8. Jan 22, 2018 #8

Beej

Beej

Beej

Yes, Markus Goetting. Very talented guy, you should see the sheet metal on the semi-replica Hughes racer he is building. Yes, I have seen the RV with the forward canopy, pretty neat.

Sounds like I should have bought a KK canopy kit and built the Skybolt around it. :0)

9. Jan 22, 2018 #9

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

You laugh....... but that’s exactly what I did with the wolf canopy on my ASIIS. Still that took around 350 hrs but it’s much smaller.......

10. Jan 22, 2018 #10

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r Lifetime Supporter

If it wasn't for the difficulty of a Canopy, I wouldn't own my two-piece upper wing Skybolt.

The 2nd owners converted my canopied Skybolt to Open Cockpit, then decided to build a different sliding Canopy for it.
    11 YEARS LATER!
    It was never finished.. (Luckily they realized and pickled the engine). It took me a little over a month with a bit of help here and from some a very talented people helping me. (to get it flying WITHOUT the Canopy)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  11. Jan 22, 2018 #11

Beej

Beej

Beej

I was dead serious. Hindsight is 20-20...

12. Jan 22, 2018 #12

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

Or you can do this in about 40 hours and go Flying... except that I built three of them before I got the one I like.
    The people who know how hard it is respect your efforts.

View attachment 1516631518602.jpg

smizo, biplanebob, f18shack and 2 others like this.
  13. Jan 22, 2018 #13

Beej

Beej

Beej

My plan was to build a second canopy 'frame' with no bubble - just sheet metal combing with 2 holes in it for open cockpit conversion. But alas, I have had a belly full and do not have the heart. Maybe that is something I may tackle later, if I get bored having nothing to build after years of building.....

14. Jan 22, 2018 #14

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

I met Marcus a couple of months ago when I flew the Eagle to Taylor for lunch. He showed me the Hughes and the RV. Really nice guy and yes very talented. I plan to fly over more and see the Hughes progress. Taylor is a nice little airport and great Mexican food across the street.
    When you get the Skybolt painted I will come over and you can buy me lunch :D

15. Jan 22, 2018 #15

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I've only done one canopy install and it was simple by comparison to a two-place design. I'm sure I had less than 200 hours in it but it's been too long ago now for me to remember. Some of that was design time since it was done differently than a stock S-1 canopy.

philly5g likes this.
  16. Jan 22, 2018 #16

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I know, "off subject", but can we get pictures and maybe a bit of info on the Hughes racer. I spent a small squall under the wing of the Hughes racer from Washington state. That and the Benjamin Gee Bee are, in my mind, are two of the most beautifully crafted aircraft I've ever laid eyes on.

bonanzadrv likes this.
  17. Jan 22, 2018 #17

Beej

Beej

Beej

After all the stuff you have sold on here, I think you owe ME a steak dinner! :D:D

pigpenracing likes this.
  18. Jan 22, 2018 #18

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

With due respect I've knocked out 3 ea. 2-place sliding canopies in about 2 weeks/ 100 hours each or less. First on the Tu-holer, then put it on the AD2 and then back on the Spezio.
    Not show quality but worked* and don't look too bad. (The 2nd time in the Spezio was a completely new install except for the trim)

The canopy on the AD2 didn't work*. It caused a severe trim change. Also it could not be jettisoned.

The above were quick and "dirty" but worked. They could be removed in a day and converted back to open pits.

I agree a really professional 2-place canopy that can be locked, opened and jettisoned from either cockpit is a challenge. I recall a friend who spent over a year on such a canopy on his Skybolt.

I've left the canopy on the Spezio. It can be opened half way in flight and it stays closed or open by friction. I really like it and I gained 8 mph in cruise too. The same canopy on the AD was not good at all mainly because of it's too low turtle deck/abrupt angle on rear canopy fairing.

GEDC4400 (800x600).jpg

GEDC4401.jpg

GEDC4231 (800x600).jpg

19. Jan 22, 2018 #19

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

ndlakesdreamer

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Maybe I should attack the canopy after I finish the wings. Seems like a really odd sequence...

philly5g likes this.
  20. Jan 22, 2018 #20

jstreat

jstreat

jstreat

Building and fitting canopies sucks. Three months of work. Raw fingers from sanding. I can't count that high when it comes to hours:)

JST

NX397JT_492-2012.jpg

NX397JT_497-2012.jpg

NX397JT_500-2012.jpg

NX397JT_507-2012.jpg

NX397JT_521-2012.jpg

NX397JT_536-2012.jpg

NX397JT_556-2012.jpg

NX397JT_657-2015.jpg

NX397JT_666-2015.jpg

smizo, airplanegeek and philly5g like this.