• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cap strip selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Bolt

Reaction score

Hey all! Much like Eric K. I am going to be away from home for an extended period and would like to make a little headway on my Culp special. I am going to do similar by cutting the bits and pieces for my wing ribs and assemble them in my room during the evenings or days that I can’t fly. I had a quick question about the cap strip materials. I see that aircraft spruce lists the 1/4x1/4 cap strips but they have a note at the bottom "Cap strip may be cut from "C and better" graded spruce as it is a nonstructural." <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

So from what I understand I could go to the local lumberyard and select some reasonable (the best I canfind)spruce 1x4 and mill it down providing the grain is reasonably straight and knot free. I am not afraid to used good wood but the shipping is really expensive and if I can save a few bucks getting the wood locally then it is a bonus for me!

Thanks so much for the direction and the builder’s manual is great!

Latest posts

Back