• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Denied Fuel Because I Fly an Aerobatic Airplane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not going to mention the airport because I don't feel it is my business to do so, yet. Read on an maybe you will understand why. If you figure out the airport (which might be easy enough given my region of the world) I ask that you not post "spoilers" here or PM me for details. I would rather let the people directly affected manage this as they feel most appropriate.

I have a friend who, in addition to being a talented acro pilot, is a fledgling instructor and coach. He recently opened an Aerobatic Practice Area that borders the runway at Hammonton, NJ (N81), very underutilized airport. How underutilized you ask? Yesterday was a clear, crystal blue Sunday (Father's Day as a matter of fact) and during the 4 hours we were there, the only operation was a single helicopter that was based on the field. This box had been opened years before but was the subject of an unfortunate event that forced its closure. The airport was happy to see it go. They don't like aerobatics. And they don't seem to really like airplanes. They DO seem to like--and certainly accept--state and federal funds for improvements but only so long as those improvements don't interfere with the post-apocolyptic ambiance of the place.

Anyway my friend NOTAM'd his box and provided two spotters, once on box freq and one on unicom. I dove into the box and got some very solid, badly needed coaching. But having flown far to get there, after three stabs at the sequence I needed gas and a break before converting anymore carbon into noise. I asked the fueler for gas and was directed to his boss who I initially took to be the airport owner. He was not--the town owns the airport. Nor was he the manager. He ran the FBO and the local MX facility and therefore seemed to enjoy the power to deny fuel for my Pitts. He also denied fuel for my friend. An argument ensued where he was reminded that these planes don't carry much gas to begin with and he might share at least a portion of the responsibility should anything happen when we fly to the 20 miles to the next airport for fuel. He allowed us TWO gallons. (We took a little more than that). My friend has the support of the IAC and the FAA. He's got the situation covered and I believe he will soon have this whole thing resolved and our tyrannical mechanic will just have to suck it up. But I thought I would throw this out there as yet another example of how threatened our sport is by such little minds.

[Added the name of the airport]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back