• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Dropping the spin at the right place in the Box

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
So, I flew 2 flights, 8 iterations today doing the '15 Sportsman Known. I finally found a field about the right size of the acro box near my airport.

So, after fig #3 I am finding if I don't take the start of fig#4 to almost the upwind edge of the box that I am having a bit of difficulty putting fiq#6 inside the downwind edge of the box.

So

1. Any tips on how to drop the spin exactly where I want it? When I carry power a bit to drag it to the right spot it is difficult to time when to pull it out to put the spin right where I want. I know the answer is "Repetition and coaching"…. But are there any tricks to dropping the spin when your airspeed might still be a bit high? Especially since wind will always be a variable…. For example no wind it might be roll out from fig#3 and pull power will be the perfect timing, but with a 15 MPH wind I might have to carry power till maybe mid field and I am not going to have enough flights before the next comp to figure it out through repetition to figure out timing for 5-10-15-20 MPH head winds.

2. Since the penalty for an "out" is the same as an interruption in Sportsman…. Seems that there is no real numerical benefit to take a break vs just taking the out call. But in the real world, which will the judges score better?

3. If I find myself in a bad position coming out of fig#5, should I either take the out, take a break, or rush fig#6 to try and complete it in the box? My instinct is to rush it (instead of pull and count 2, roll count 3 - Maybe pull count 1, roll count 2 for example, and maybe pull harder on the looping portion) and accept a lower score for that figure instead of taking either penalty.

Latest posts

Back