• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

EAA Bipe

jefferts

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this on craigslist - no connection to me, but thought maybe someone here would be interested - Steve

dallas.craigslist.org/dal/snw/4760310061.html

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Fair" condition? "Seems" cheap but could be a money pit?

I got my EAA Biplane for $5000(Estate sale). It looked ok but w/o logs was somewhat a pig in poke. Then found logs, it was O290G, 100SMOH with brand new O320 crank which made it a silk purse. FWF is now in my Tu-holer...

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are all money pits...I mean no disrespect. If quality of build is good and its been out of the weather its a steal at that price. If you want one. That's the problem. Some designs Smith Mini, EAA bipe etc just won't bring the same money a single hole Pitts will. Basically the Pitts sets the market for the rest of the single seaters. Pitts being the top, the rest working down. It's kind of like the Warbird prices...you wouldn't pay $150k for a BT-13 when its very close in outward appearance and "mission" to a AT-6, when a decent T-6 can be had for $140k. Of course there is the excellent example of Stearman people ask $300k plus for and at one point sold a few...it's hard to do and must be exceptional. Bottom line is its worth whatever you put into it to you, and how ever much you can get from someone else. I heard this line on pawn stars..."when you are trying to sell something of exceptional quality, don't be desperate about it". Sell to someone who sees the value. Back to the EAA Bipe...if you're looking for a built plane that needs some love, this looks like it would be worth a look, of course that's my opinion only.

Kris
Oklahoma City,OK
Currently restoring a Ranger powered Starduster Too

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, like my mentor told me back in 1978 when I first started looking for a bipe. Anything not a Pitt was,

"Just another face in the crowd"

That said, I seen more than one Mini, SD1 and AS1 that I'd be very happy/proud to own.

It didn't say what engine in this one. Many if not most were O290G. If a Lycoming has been sitting the cam/tappets/cylinders may be trash. Me, I would NOT waste my time/money on a trashed O290 because parts cost so much. Indeed many PA20-22 guys with even a normal run out O290 find it's cheaper to buy a O320.

If it needs cover? Me, I'd WALK AWAY. I just would not want to invest the effort into an EAA Biplane. Better IMO to find a nice clean example for $15k which should be easy enough.

Of coarse some people like money pits.

I DON'T!

But Like you say Kris, EVERY aircraft I've owned has been a money pit,

Except my Tu-holer. So far it's been an easy keeper. (wish I could say the say for Marcia's latest "free" horse)

Jack

I recall a friend back in the 70's who had 3 T6's. Had purchased them back when they were $1000.....
I was looking for a BT13 at the time and found one for $7000. It had a 4 place rear pit. I was worried about the prop(couldn't find logs-I forget the exact issue) so I passed. Anyway he was assisting me in my quest and decided to buy the 13 himself. Converted it back to stock, paint job and BTW found logs and it didn't have the "issue". He absolutely fell in love with the 13.....quit flying his six's. Glad I didn't do it, I couldn't afford to feed it if someone gave me one......

Last edited:

TFF1

Reaction score
A friend bought a $8000 SD1 and he has been wearing it out for 2 years. It is not a plane to covet. It is a plane to fly and then throw away. He has gotten more fun flying cheap than his $50K homebuilt helicopter and his $100K RV. It is just a plane to keep safe and fly. Scratch it in the hangar, get a sharpie and sign it because it is not worth the effort to fix cosmetically. If the engine blows up put another $2K 0-290 G on it or sell the plane for $3K. He has already put $3K of fuel through it so he is ahead in the fun department.

Reaction score
I will take all the "G.s" ya got. O435 cylinders fit and you can mix match parts as a scrounger and build a reliable homebuilt engine. Wood prop with a flange stiffener and aircraft sump and you can be into one cheap.( yes, I know aerobatics is risky with the original crankshaft) Magneto's are the biggest expense but you could even spring for electronic ignition. What TFF1 describes is the exact opposite of what goes on in the Van's RV community. If you have hours to spare go to the Van's air force web site and there are thousands of threads of the money cannon being shot at airplanes. I bought my EAA biplane for $8500 and it was a new rebuild with Poly fiber fabric and beautiful workmanship. I flew it 5 years and sold it for $8500 to a friend and was out the expense of av gas and one odyssey battery.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the last Starman Auction in OKC there was like a dozen new in crates 0290g crank cases...pallets of 0435 pistons. Rods and bearings a plenty. All new. I'm not sure where it all went but it was alot of parts. I personally know where a 0smoh converted 290g is the guy wants $2500 for. Only issue is the magnaflux guy that did the crank has a AD against him that states the crank would need to be re checked. Has the flange stiffners also. I have a 0-290D2 oil sump with data plate if anyone should be in the need. Ill get it out and take a pic and post on classifieds. What's it worth these days?

Kris
Oklahoma City,OK
Currently restoring a Ranger powered Starduster Too

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The O290 "G" crank flange is simply a O235. I'd hang a O235 76AM prop on it, or wood. Full length prop is normal on the EAA.

I run a 76AM6-50(full 74") on my O290G(w/O320 crank).

I owned the original #1 tu-holer back in the early 80's w/converted O290G and I installed the flange re-enforce plates. I've been informed it will do NOTHING to prevent flange cracking(with "nasty" prop) but will prevent loss of prop....Maybe?

All that said, I have a theory. I don't think there is any significant weakness with the "G" crank flange. I suspect the failures were caused by all the cut down highly twisted metal(nasty harmonics) props such as used on the race and other low clearance planes? I've not heard of a failure with a decent full length prop. Tony did put a cut down PA22 prop on the tu-holer, I think cut to 66X60(from a 74") and it had almost 900 hours when I got it. But some of the props were cut/twisted to like 60X66 or more. It all depends on untested harmonics. The question is,

"Do you feel lucky"

YMMV

Indeed if I had a (experimental) O320 that say failed the 505 or had bad flange from strike I wouldn't hesitate to install a good/cheap G crank for just cruising around....

And you guys are right, If a O290G is trashed you can usually find another cheap. It's the certified PA22-135 and PA20 guys that find the O290D/D2 hard to support.

Last edited:

Latest posts