• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Emergency recovery and spin recovery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It has been sometime since I checked in on this forum but in looking the other day I noticed a discussion about spin recovery methods and my name, as the advocate of a particular type of recovery , was mentioned.
SO, once again, let me state that I have continually maintained that my method is taught as a method of recovering from "out of control situations" where the pilot doesn't know what the ##"$!# heck is happening--and his/her brain is in "neutral" not able to think or put 2 and 2 together! It just so happens that it also is a "fail-safe" method for recovering from ANY botched maneuver or from ANY spin. Are other methods better?? Well that depends on what you mean by "better"? Are others faster in recovery? Perhaps the answer is yes --IF-- you know where you are and what control input is correct! However this is not what we (ME) are trying to drive home with our technique.
Simply stated---our technique is the ONLY method whereby you cannot make a mistake, if trained by actual hands-on training by an instructor versed in this method. IF, in any other technique you happen to push or pull on the incorrect control there will be significant additional altitude loss occurring until you get it right or hit the ground.
Learn them all. The more instruction and training anyone seeks, all the better. I am advocating my technique as the most reliable and foolproof recovery technique when you don't know where you are or "what just happened?".
I hope this clears it up for those diehards who like to pounce on just about everything out there as being evil or wrong.
Does it work in spin recovery? Yep!!! 100% of the time!!
Some seem to remember it as I jokingly referred to it one time in a seminar as the FART technique. Actually a convenient way to remember it (Finagin's
Anti-spin Recovery Technique). Come to think about it, this beats a load in the pants!
Oh, the actual technique: (1) Rip off the POWER, (2)Force ALL controls to neutral and hold absolutely still, (3)until in the Pitts you reach 100MPH, (4)then pull out with up to 4 G's to straight and level.

Now go fly and be safe!
Bill

Latest posts

Back