• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Energy management and help creating a sequence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

I would like some help creating a sequence that I can practice and become proficient at.

I have been enjoying flying aerobatics in my Marquart Charger. Unlike many of the planes discussed in this forum, my plane is limited to mild aerobatics and it does not have inverted systems. I would equate it to a 150 hp Citabria with a semi-symmetrical wing.

To date, I have received about 12 hours of aerobatic instruction which includes time in the Super Decathlon, Pitts S2-B, and the Marquart Charger. I have also flow aerobatics in the RV-6 and the 450 Stearman.

My goal here is not to fly precise figures and IAC sequences, but instead tailor my maneuvers to be as gentle (as is possible) for the comfort of the passenger who wants to experience aerobatics. I ease my passengers into aerobatics with some maneuvers of increasing intensity such as medium and steep banked turns and wingovers) to expose them to some of new sensations associated with aerobatics before even execuring a basic roll. I absolutely want to make sure they are comfortable, not to mention that I really don't want to be cleaning vomit out of the plane.

As an example I fly my rolls, slow rolls, and 4 point rolls on a ballistic trajectory in which I can minimizes rudder input and maximizes comfort for the passenger. The highest I ever see my G meter at is around +3.25 which is during a snap roll.

Can I get some help creating an interesting, varied, and well energy managed sequence that will lend itself to my aircraft and my mission?

Here is my repertoire so far:
-Steep turns
-Wingovers
-Spins
-Rolls
-4 point rolls
-Slow rolls
-Snap rolls
-Barrel rolls
-Cuban 8s, half cuban 8s, and reverse cuban 8 variants
-Clover leafs
-Hammerheads

Variants or combinations such as an avanlance could be included as well as long as they are within my and the aircraft's capabilities.

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Glenn

Latest posts

Back