• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Firewall fabrication?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTOO

Reaction score

I'm needing to order some material to build my firewall for my Starduster Too and would like some input on how you guys have built yours. I did build one years ago to the plans however now find out it doesn't quite fit my fuselage so need to build another one.

The first one I used .018 stainless and bent up angles out of the same material and shrank them to make the curves. I didn't really care for the finished product. I thought it seemed a bit flimsey. I was now thinking of going with 24ga 304 stainless (approx .025). Is this overkill? How about material for the angle that get riveted on? I do not have access to a shrinker so may have to go the route of drilling holes and cutting notches.

What to use for the angle? I tried notching a piece of 2024 1"x1"x1/16" but this seemed to bend pretty hard. I'd sure like to hear some ideas and maybe even pics if you have them.

Thanks, Bob

Latest posts

Back