• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

First flight of N835S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdpole1

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, the weather finally worked with me this morning to take the ASII up for it's first flight. All went well and the plane handled basically hands off which was a real plus. Climbed out to 3000 feet and spent close to an hour checking things out. First landing was not one to write home about but by the third things were more like I wanted them to be. Biggest problem was the radio. My Icom a200 had been acting up on the receiving side so I pulled it and sent it back to Icom for repair. Opted to use my brother's hand held which was a mistake. Cockpit noise made it almost useless but given that my field is a Unicom field and the guys on the ground had their radios going to keep everyone informed that a "test flight" was in progress things worked out fine. I still think I will wait for the radio to return from the shop before the next flight plus the weather is suppose to be bad for the next few days. I've attached pictures of the plane prior to the maiden flight. It is dirty and in dire need of a bath which I will give it this weekend but had to take the opening when it presented itself.

One of my observers thought the toe out of the gear was too much although there was no apparent ground clearance to prop problems. It is the sliding spring assembly gear rather than the bungee gear. Checked all dimensions on it and all checked out. Has anyone had any experience with the spread of the gear appearing to be too much under landing or takeoff loads.

Enough for now. Still pumped from the flight even though it has been 5 hours since it occurred. Take a look at the pictures. Sorry no video but I am not as up to speed as many of the guys on forum.

DSC02369.jpg

DSC02368.jpg

DSC02367.jpg

Latest posts

Back