• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Gas Welding Practice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieF

Reaction score

So, I haven't selected a design to build yet, and haven't been able to justify a TIG machine purchase yet; but I was getting frustrated at not making progress. I decided that at least I could develop my O/A welding skills. Why wait until I have a build underway, right?
I already have a small O/A setup- a Purox W-200 with several tips (I'm using a no.2). There's a local tubing supplier where I found I could get some 4130 (1" OD x .049 wall). A trip to the local welding supply for some RG45 and encouragement from DC8Mech and Randy and off I go.
I had been reading Jerry's posts and following his build log for a few weeks - more encouragement. Jerry even provided direct encouragement once he learned that I was going down this road.
The results below show the progress made after Randy's very constructive input. I went to a slightly acetylene rich flame, didn't use flux (I had been taught to weld with flux) and exercised more patience with the flame/puddle. By the way, the tubes are not nearly so distorted in reality. I think the camera lens did that.

20090128_074817_DSCF0076.JPG

Other side of the same piece:

20090128_075018_DSCF0077.JPG

And the next test:

20090128_075134_DSCF0079.JPG

20090128_075216_DSCF0080.JPG

Comments, input, criticisms, (even jokes!) welcome and solicited.

Thanks all,

Charlie

Edited by: CharlieF

Latest posts

Back