So, I haven't selected a design to build yet, and haven't been able to justify a TIG machine purchase yet; but I was getting frustrated at not making progress. I decided that at least I could develop my O/A welding skills. Why wait until I have a build underway, right?
I already have a small O/A setup- a Purox W-200 with several tips (I'm using a no.2). There's a local tubing supplier where I found I could get some 4130 (1" OD x .049 wall). A trip to the local welding supply for some RG45 and encouragement from DC8Mech and Randy and off I go.
I had been reading Jerry's posts and following his build log for a few weeks - more encouragement. Jerry even provided direct encouragement once he learned that I was going down this road.
The results below show the progress made after Randy's very constructive input. I went to a slightly acetylene rich flame, didn't use flux (I had been taught to weld with flux) and exercised more patience with the flame/puddle. By the way, the tubes are not nearly so distorted in reality. I think the camera lens did that.
Other side of the same piece:
And the next test:
Comments, input, criticisms, (even jokes!) welcome and solicited.
Edited by: CharlieF