• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Gordon Price Skybolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Even though I'm building an Acrosport 2, I do appreciate the lines of a Skybolt. I got a look at an acquaintance's Skybolt last week. I've known this guy for many years, but never really discussed that he owned a plane, and had no idea he had a Skybolt! I got to check it out late one night last week after an EAA meeting. It resides in Fulton, NY at Oswego County Airport - FZY, my home airport. This thing is beautiful! It's a beautifully done Christen Eagle scheme. It's got a IO-540 with a Hartzell 3 blade constant speed prop. I can fit in the rear hole, but the front, well, I almost couldn't get out once in. It was built by Gordon Price, of Ultimate fame, past Canadian Aerobatic Champion fame amongst other things he's done. He built this Skybolt as his first plane to get him into aerobatics. He named it "Sanity 1". Here's a website that discusses his biography -

http://moleski.net/ULTBIPE/ultgpbio.htm

Anyway, I thought the history of this particular Skybolt was pretty cool and I wanted to pass it along. I have a 1/4 scale flying RC model of his Ultimate 10-300. Funny how things tend to wrap around in history. Here's a couple of lousy shots of the plane in poor hangar lighting. I'm hoping to get some flying time on this in the Spring - the owner is a CFI and has to get comfortable in the front before I can fly it.

Dan

PS - See Neil? Pictures...
biggrin.gif

IMAG0220.jpg

IMAG0221.jpg

Latest posts

Back