• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Grade-A Cotton on a Pitts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanceav8r

Reaction score
I am in escrow on a seemingly good deal on a Pitts S2B. Come to find out it has the original 1985 Grade-A Cotton cover job. The airplane looks pretty good overall. Very little cracking etc. I had the mechanic punch test with the Maule punch tester to 56 pounds in two locations (on the underside not in the most sun exposed area) and he said it passes.

My question is for the old salts. Should I be shying away from an airplane with cotton? I understand the service life for an actively flown aircraft with Cotton fabric is a short 7 years. This airplane was kept inside and not flown much at all in ten years. The owner also kept the plane covered while inside the So-Cal hangar. The owner claims that it has never had water on the plane also. Looking inside the wings the fabric is clean and white and all rib-stitching looks good.

I called Aviat and they want $34,500 for a recover. Sounds a bit pricey. What I am thinking is that if I can get 5 years out of the cover job before downing the airplane and recovering I would be satisfied.

If I were to send the plane to Aviat for a recover and new engine I would be looking at a $70K bill for an airplane that is worth who knows what. I see some nice examples for sale for around 100K but they have been for sale for a long time. This market seems pretty soft.

Latest posts

Back