• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Great Lakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTairco

Reaction score
Got a homebuilt Great Lakes into the hangar last week that needs a re-cover. It's a 30+ year old airplane with about 100 hours on it. Looks in fairly decent shape apart from a few things.

We plan to move the seat back a little and yes, I know that is opening a can of worms, but I know enough about structures to do it safely. It is very cramped for anyone over 6'.

The sheet metal ribs are handmade from what I believe 0.020" (I actually measure at 0.019", but did they ever make metal in that gauge?) and the webs are badly bowed on some of them. Under the right wingwalk they actually buckled and I had to shore them up with stiffeners. I am considering putting a couple of stiffeners on all the ribs; they are that wavy and bent. Anyone else had this problem?

It's a Ranger powered airplane and with 200hp it climbs great and it's a perfect engine for this. We all know biplanes need inlines, V8s or radials, right?

20140701_134059.jpg

20140702_190517.jpg

20140709_131350.jpg

20140709_155556.jpg

Latest posts

Back