• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Haven't posted for a while

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigareed

n969tm Thunder Monkey
Reaction score
I haven't posted my progress on my SD II so I thought I'd get everyone up-to-date.

I now have about 17 hours on my SD II and am enjoying the flight test process.

After getting the AW Certificate in February of this year, I had to get myself ready. I got current in a C172, then started on my tailwheel endorsement in a C140 that was based at my airport (PTS). Just after I started my tailwheel training, I traveled to the Portland, OR area and did about 4 hours with Dave Baxter in his SD II. I struggled with directional control, but when I left, I had a much better idea of what I needed to do. Sometimes, it takes a while for the lesson to take. I was nervous and tight and didn't really do a good job, but the lesson was not wasted - it just took a while for me to relax and do what I knew
I could do.

After my trip to Portland, I was much better with the C140 and surprised my instructor. Thanks Dave!

My first flight was Father's day morning. It's a strange feeling lining up at the end of the runway, getting ready to throttle-up. I had to ask myself - "What the hell am I doing here..." I took a deep breath and fire-walled the throttle and got it in the air. It was much easier than the C140.

I now have about 17 hours on it and am making small improvements as I go. The rigging appears to be right on, as the plane has not bad tendencies. In my first power-off stall, I felt a slight bump/shudder at about 55mph, but the nose did not drop. I held the stick back and kept feeling the slight shudder every few seconds, but never a wing or nose drop. I looked at the VSI and saw I was descending at appox. 1,000 fpm.

I am learning to land and so far, have only 3-pointed. at the end of this post, I have the YouTube link for a landing video of my SD II. I haven't mastered entering the video on the post yet. I've also added a couple photos on the SD II at the Parsons, KS fly-in held in September. It was within my 50 mile restricted radius so it was nice to have a destination.

Thanks everyone's help and advice.

Craig.

https://youtu.be/goPYYv43gpk

Happy Kid in N969TM at Parsons Fly-In 2016.JPG

Parsons Fly-in - Dad.JPG

Latest posts

Back