• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Help! buying my first pitts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitts156

Reaction score
Hello everyone;
After doing aerobatics and flying inverted in a cittabria and a super decathlon, i built up the courage to fly a pitts S2B and i am hooked! unfortunately i cannot afford an S2B so started looking for the next best thing, an S2A
Almost pulled the trigger on a 1982 S2E when my instructor warns me of the old fabric (original 1982 fabric) and although it looked magnificent, he warned me of fabric separation due to its age; i walked away

next week i am doing a pre-buy inspection on a 1974 S1S with an O360; fuselage and wings all stripped in 2004, inspected and recovered with ceconite and painted a beautiful red with sunburst white pattern(in a paint booth!), exactly what i wanted;
since its in the amateur built category a race engine workshop (for drag race cars) overhauled the engine and pickled it, its been sitting with the fuselage and wings apart in storage since 2004
i will have to trailer the plane to my a&p's hangar for assembly, the owner did not agree to run the engine at prebuy and said it will be a hassle since the tank is in the top wing;
my questions are;

should i be worried about an overhauled and pickled engine that has been sitting since 2004 ? will i need to replace the bendix mags? is a compression test enough to determine the health of the engine?

does a carburated engine with a pressure carb perform well with hard aerobatics ? (lots of snap rolls)

i know it has the solid crank flange but is the combination with a sensenich wooden prop good for aerobatics ?

it has an open cockpit which i am planning on enjoying for a while but when it comes time to build a canopy, how much will it run me ?

anything else i should worry about that might be affected by sitting for about 12 years ?

any input would be much appreciated
Moe

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back