• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Inspection cover frame

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NDTOO

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure questions have come up about this from time to time and since it seems there are a few of us either covering or getting close I thought I would share what I did. I wanted access to my flying wire fittings and I had made a cut out in the leading edge plywood large enough to sneak a 1/4" drive socket in to tighten the fitting attach bolt. I also needed an access hole on the aft side of the spar where there is just fabric. I made a 1/2" wide frame out of .025 aluminum and poly tacked it in position. I let it dry completely and then cut flaps and folded them up and on top of the alum. frame and poly tacked. Then added a gusset over the top of the frame and folded the flaps down and poly tacked on the inside. I'll make covers that will attach to this frame with sheet metal screws.

P2150490 (1024x768).jpg

P2150492 (1024x768).jpg

P2160493 (1024x768).jpg

P2160507 (1024x768).jpg

P2160513 (1024x768).jpg

Latest posts

Back