• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

    The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Left Wing X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.


Creator of this place
Staff member
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
Reaction score
Austin, TX

<TD vAlign=top>Nailers...

The plywood leading edges were ClearCoated twice on the inner face, then glued on the wing with T-88. Prior to glueing it is essential that the wing is removed from the bench and the bench re-checked for level and twist, since once the ply is cured, the wing will be 'cast in stone'.

Nailer strips were used for clamping. The ply oversize by 1/2 past the spar top and bottom, this was then latercleaned up with a laminate trimmer. After removing the nailers the next day, I started sanding with a long sanding block looking for raised spots. This is when I came across which is probably my biggest OOPS so far: There was a nasty high spot in the middle of the wing, and I was dumbfounded as to why. I started sanding, but after a millisecond realized that it was like a darn mole hill, and I would soon burn a hole through. So I had no choice but to cut it out and repair. After the cutout was completed, I saw the cause of my whoe's - it was a small piece of spruce!!, I had glued the ply on top of it....looks like I wasn't meticulous enough when cleaning the glue area :0|

The repair was fixed according to the AC 43.13-1B with a surface patch. Two coats of Clearcoat were then applied.

Cut-out of the high spot, you can see the sanding attempt on the drop-off...

Finished patch...

Latest posts