• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Looking for "Lil Bit"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the late 60's there was a Pitts S-1C brought into the Salt Lake International Airport, built by a retired Air Force Colonel, and the Pitts was named "Li'l Bit". It was painted red, with pale yellow sunbursts, and trimmed with black between the primary colors. It had a 12 gallon Champ fuel tank, complete with cork float fuel gauge, and a Lycoming 0-290 GPU engine. It had large Cub tires and wheel pants, and Scott heel brakes. Jim Yardley kept it in his hangar, and flew it quite regularly. Jim said it was the squirreliest airplane he had ever flown.

Years later, maybe in the mid-80's, I ferried "Li'l Bit" from Vernal, Utah, to Toelle, Utah. At this time it had been equipped with a Haigh locking tailwheel, and even with that, it was indeed a very squirrely airplane. It was all I could do to keep it from groundlooping. I finally got it into Toelle, but I forgot to log the flight, and I can't find the N-number.

Are there any forum members who are familiar with this Pitts and/or its whereabouts?

Latest posts

Back