• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Marquart MA5 for sale N645

beck

Reaction score
Marquart Charger MA5, 0-360, Fixed pitch, Poly fiber recover last year, Through inspection and varnished when wings and control surfaces were open. Fuse also had through inspection for cracks and corrosion.
No damage history, Fresh annual with cyls in the mid 70s, 1295 total engine time-not rebuilt
All logs,plans, service records, Icom a200 radio, transponder, sigtronics high noise two place intercom, garmin 195 gps, nav and strobe lights
This is a great biplane. I is perfectly balanced and rigged. Strong clean engine with no leaks,
There is a bubble canopy for the pilots seat and a metal cover for the front passenger, brakes and throttle for both front and rear.
I hate to sell it but due to the closing of our local grass strip I had to move it to a strip that is farther than practical.
Asking $31.5K
I am going to be hesitant in considering any offers without you first seeing it in person .
Plane is at Nash Field, South of Des Moines at IA66
I have some photos up in the photos section

ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1393899019.812411.jpg

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Very pretty Charger!!!

What type of wheels are on it? Do you have any cockpit photos?

beck

Reaction score
Just kidding,:)
The wheels are goodyear with goodyear brakes, 8.5x6 i think.
I cant upload the panel photo

20150508_152325.jpg

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just sold my Pitts and planning to go look at a Great Lakes this weekend. Does anyone here have experience in both a GL and a Marquart to give some perspective on differences and similarities? Seems like a lot of airplane for the asking price.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
From another thread...

I currently own a 150HP Great Lakes and previously had a 150HP Marquart Charger. I have about 100 hours in each. I am a "putt around" in the evening sort of pilot and both of these fit that mission nicely. I suspect I bore my airplanes but they seem happy! The Charger out performs the GL for the same horsepower. I am not a numbers guy but the Charger would out climb the GL by a good margin. The Charger is lighter and quicker on the controls than the GL. The Charger takes little aileron to get a big response where the GL flies more like a larger biplane with definite control input. Don't get me wrong, the GL is delightful but the Charger is more Sports Car like in response. (I am sure nothing like a Pitts though). Both are super well behaved on approach and landing. The Charger landed a bit faster and takes little rudder to correct most any situation. Too much rudder can turn a straight rollout into something more exciting. The GL is just plain tame in most all ground situations. I managed to aggravate it once into a porpoise but most of the time it just plonks on and rolls straight.
I will likely keep the GL until they put me away as I love the looks of the aircraft and it is all I need. I would have been just as happy with the Charger if the GL had not come along.
While the GL is larger overall, the cockpit can be a bit tight. The panel is really close to your face and some do not like that. You sit more upright in the GL and leg room is limited. Look for one with the adjustable pedals. The Charger fit me fine. Front seat room is about the same for both.
Most GL's you find will likely be 180HP and am sure have somewhat better performance but they are also heavier than the 150HP models.
If your mission is just delightful flying biplane where you do not have a lump in your throat on final, both are wonderful!

compjtc

Registered Users
Reaction score
I was bummed to see that Morningstar closed (assuming that's the strip you were referring to). Good luck with the sale!

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Folks, I ended up buying another S-1S instead of a 2-holer, but I looked at Jeff's airplane when I was considering the 2-seat option. His Charger is very nice and it's a lot of plane for the money. Jeff is a very straight shooter, and if you know of anyone who is looking for a Charger, this one deserves consideration.

beck

Reaction score
I reduced my asking price to $31,500.00
I don't know how to edit my original post to reflect that.

beck

Reaction score
Folks I have posted a video walk around on YouTube.
Search "marquart N645"
Plane is still for sale and I am taking offers.

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3XYVn1SaVI[/ame]

Latest posts