• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

MT Woes....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smutny

Biplane Addict
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I had quite a bit of grease loss from my prop the last couple times I flew it, so I decided to pull it off and have the seals replaced at my local MT prop shop. Then came the call I didn't want... The hub is shot, it's worn so that the races won't seat, and MT doesn't accommodate oversize races. There are cracks in the RTV at the base of the props, so they have to go in for overhaul and hopefully no water got into the wood, as that'd require a replacement. All told, I'll be in this for about $9K to rebuild the existing prop, if all three blades are reusable.

Went to the shop this morning to get a visual on the issues so I fully understand them, but walked away with more questions that weren't getting answered. Basically, I figure that to be simply unwilling to commit to answers that are not OK in the certified world. In this litigious society, I can understand that.

So, I'm looking to the collective knowledge of this group to help answer my questions. Hopefully, the prop can be rebuilt, but if not, I'd like to know what the replacement would be. Also, if a replacement is within a couple thousand dollars, I may just go that route instead.

My prop is a MTV-12-B-C/180, something they kept saying was not a "proper application" on a Pitts. The closest match they find is a MT that is installed on a Saab aerobatic trainer. Waiting on a price for that one, wondering if it's a special order system.

The MTV-9/188 that is STC's on the S-2A, and other angle valve 360's doesn't seem to be applicable (in their opinion) to my Wolf Pitts with it's 239hp parallel valve 360. In fact, they stated the MTV-9 was for 540 engines, not 360. Is the MTV-9 not usable on a parallel valve 360?

I see a number of MTV-12/180 styles on other GA aircraft, like Mooney M20's, but the shop has me curious if they are robust enough for aerobatics? Is there even a difference?

Those of you with 3 blade MT's on your four bangers, what models are you using?

Latest posts

Back