• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Need help selling S1C project - S FL

gotime242

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently became friends with a nice older guy at the field who has a hangar full of pitts history and not enough time to get it all flying. He would like to sell some of his stuff but doesn't get online much.

I honestly don't know much about the kit at all...just that he was building it and just didn't have enough time to continue with it. It has been sitting for a while. The parts are scattered all over the hangar (flying wires, tail, nosebowl, gear, canopy...etc) but there is a lot there.

Is there any hope of selling this? Im not sure what he is hoping to be offered for it but I figured i would start here. It is located at Lantana airport in West Palm Beach, FL. If anyone has any suggestions or offers please let me know, thanks!

-Dylan

gotime242

Reaction score
How much? Any history? Logs?
Hes just looking for offers at this point...I cant honestly say. Id like to get the input of the people on this forum to see how much is reasonable for something like this.

No history other than he is the original builder...he also built a S1S that is in the hangar. I doubt there are any logs other than maybe some original build logs.

Taildragger

Reaction score
You'll probably need to get a better inventory of what's there to attract more offers. Not sure what it is yet.

I see a welded fuse, tail feathers, and completed (?) wings for starters...

Tomcat

Reaction score
I agree with the others, really need an inventory and maybe some better pictures of the stuff not covered up by a blanket. Maybe pull the stuff out in the sun and take some pics....

With that being said though, projects such as these I've seen sell for around $3-5,000, again, there are many variables that affect that. The wings for example are obviously not stock S-1C wings, they look more like modified Raven wings with the 1/4 round tips and aileron design, this could add or detract value. The quality of the fuselage construction and welding will also add or detract value.

So if you really want a better answer pull the stuff out in the sun and get some good photos, possibly some close ups of the welds, and get a complete inventory and we'll be able to provide a better estimate.

Looks like a pretty good start to a sweet machine though....

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The wings are not your normal S-1C flat wings, they look to be kit wings. I'd ask about the source of the wings which may have a lot to do with the value of the project.........Like Tom says above.

TFF1

Reaction score
The sad part, except for the person buying, is it will be worth less than the owner thinks it is. Makes for a hard separation.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The engine mount has an 'extra' cross member between the lower two donuts. I have not see this before, can anyone enlighten me on this change?

Reaction score
I got a Pitts project like that in my rafters. I don't plan on selling it as I don't want to give it away. I will let my son figure out what he wants to do with it. Hard to put a value on something like the project in the pictures. I think somebody looked at S1-11 plans and built those wing tips. Probably look pretty good out in the light. Pictures remind me of most craigs list ads.

gotime242

Reaction score
Thanks for the help all. I absolutely agree I need better pics and inventory. I find its a "touchy" situation there as it is all sad to part with / realization it will never be finished.. It's tough to start poking around his stuff while that is the case.

I'll do what I can and come back with the results. Thanks!

Last edited:

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The engine mount has an 'extra' cross member between the lower two donuts. I have not see this before, can anyone enlighten me on this change?

I'd be suprised if a normal engine sump would fit in there with that cross member there. never seen that before either. It could there from when they jigged it and needs to be cut out...

These are still flat bottom wings just look like the ailerons are a bit different and there is an aweful lot of bracing at the tip (2 angle struts with a cross brace inbetween)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't think there was any question the wings were M6. Pretty obvious.

gotime242

Reaction score
I don't think it was meant to be a racer.

Whats odd / interesting too is underneath the cover and that S1 windshield is a custom sleeker canopy that is hinged on the side / flips over like a S2 canopy. Ill have to get more pictures soon...

curtis

Curtis
Reaction score
I might be interested in this project. I am looking for one like this. Considering a more complete one thats on Barnstormers. Let me know if it is really for sale.

[email protected]

Latest posts