• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New member, proud S-1S owner

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan_Pitts-S1S

Reaction score
Hello all,

Posting a first thread, have owned an S-1S for a couple years now and what an airplane. The bang for your buck is about as good as it gets, relatively inexpensive to buy/own/operate, and just a 20 minute flight gets your adrenaline going for a week.

Still trying to master the squirliness on roll out after landing but the occassional quick tap of a brake has kept me on the pavement thus far. Would like to experiment with different tailwheels down the road (currently have a Maul wheel) to see what works best. But seems that a lot of S-1's have the Maul wheel so maybe I just need to get used to squirly.

The plane was home built in the 80's, officially signed off by FAA in '94 however. Did a lot of sitting so some restoration was needed when I aquired, but that was kind of fun and rewarding anyway (had a new panel/radio stack installed to my taste).

Having fun with intermediate level acro. Weather this weekend in Louisiana looks great, so I'm sure I'll be getting at it.

Looking forward to collaborating information on this forum. See attached pictures of my relatively new bird.

Before I go for now, one question I have at this time is if anyone knows how much aileron slave strut vibration in flight is acceptable. I recently removed them for painting, re-installed, and one of them appears to be vibrating slightly more than before. All attach points are secure and no slop/looseness in setup is evident on the ground. It also appears to be RPM dependent, in otherwords, there's a specific RPM that causes it to vibrate (not airspeed dependent). Vibrates maybe 3/4 inch back and forth rapidly at cruise RPM, should I be concerned? I can tap on them on the ground, and both slave struts appear to flex the same amount. I don't think I need the string set-up since again, not airspeed related.

Happy to be here as a new member,

Ryan

ready.jpg

cockpit.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

Latest posts

Back