• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New Member: Christopher Laney

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSkyByway

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm a writer working on a novel featuring a vintage biplane. I'm excited to tap into a knowledgeable community, one I hope will be open to guiding me occasionally so I get my facts straight.

I've been a pilot since 2005 but have never owned a biplane. Biplanes made appearances in my first novel, but only to the extent that I needed to give brief physical descriptions. In this novel, the main character is forced to put the biplane down in a field due to engine trouble. He'll be stranded for a while as he figures out how to repair it. Since that part of the story will take place in the pre-internet era, he has to track down parts the old-fashioned way. I want to ensure anything I write about repairing the biplane is accurate.

I'm also looking for a good biplane candidate for this story. Something other than a Stearman or Eaglerock, as those two were in the first novel.

My initial thoughts about the biplane that will work for the story are:
  • Manufactured in 1935, +/- 2 or 3 years.
  • Open cockpit with two tandem seats.
  • Well-suited for aerobatics.
  • An exceptional beauty of a biplane. They are all beautiful in their own way, but one that is unique and could potentially make a non-pilot do a doubletake if he or she saw it in a lineup of biplanes.
  • Something many of you would nab in a heartbeat if money were no object.
Also, any advice as to whether I should post this biplane-candidate question in a different thread or simply leave it here? If a different thread, does anyone have suggestions on which one is best? I'm thinking Hangar Talk, but please let me know if there's a more appropriate one. Once I figure out the biplane type, it should be easier to know where to post.

Thank you!
Chris

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back