• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

New Pilot from Texas - Help deciding which plane!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek884

Reaction score
I am a 28yr old pilot in Texas. I am looking to buy my first plane.

Budget $20K

Interests: Aerobatics, Cross Country Flying, Any Flying

Ideal Plane Traits:
-Low Cost
-Fuel Efficient
-High Cruise Speed
-Aerobatic Capable

Planes I am looking at:

Pitts S1C -$15-20k - Great for aerobatics, but pretty much nothing else.
Acro Sport - $15-20k - Also great for aerobatics, but more docile
Varieze - $15-25k - Super badass efficiency. Awesome speed, fuel efficiency, and cool looking. Con - Low G loading, danger of wing root problems, low useful load
Dragonfly - $12-20k - Also efficient and fast. Cool, but bad reputation for landing.
Sonerai II - $8-15k - Decent cruise, super efficient, low cost, 6G loading

I think a RV or Long-EZ would problably fit the bill the best, but it is out of my price range.

So, it depends on the day, but tonight I am leaning toward the Sonerai II. It is a cheap, solid reliable plane that I can build up flying time at low cost and low financial risk. It also has the possibility of carrying a passenger, which is nice. (I'm 5'8" 160lb).

Here is one I am looking at:
http://barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=listing&main=
It's $12k with a almost new engine and it's near me. The only thing I worry about is I can buy much more of a plane for a few grand more. Will I regret this? 70hp Sonerai vs 105hp Varieze vs 160hp Acrosport

Also, another thing I am considering is I live in Houston. Hangar space is like $350 a month vs $50-100 for a tie down. I understand most of these planes should be hangared. Definitely the fabric/fiberglass. The Sonerai has fabric Fuselage and steel wings. Is this a problem? Would getting a plane cover solve the problem?

Anyhow, I am looking for some advice. I pretty much only know what I have searched on the internet. Am I looking at the right planes or should I be considering something else? What do you think about my choices?

Thanks!!

Derek

Latest posts

Back