• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

On adhesives for wing ribs...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benderfesk

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'm about to start gluing things soon and was wondering about the options.

First off, most frequent types I've encountered so far while browsing the internet on amateur aircraft building were epoxy adhesive, specifically T-88.

Second off, I live in Europe (Croatia) and we don't get the T-88 here so it gets pretty expensive ordering one. I'm asking for help in trying to find the one that would suit as the alternative.

One aircraft mechanic/builder near here told me there's no need to look specifically for epoxy types. He says I could use polyurethane ones instead. Now that got me puzzled a bit. As I see things, PU adhesives are somewhat weaker which isn't necessarily a problem as they still make pretty tough and long lasting bond. What puzzles me is that PU adhesives are expanding in their curing process. They are also somewhat cheaper and easier to use (one component only).
What do you guys think on that? Did anybody use PU on vital construction parts?

What about epoxy alternatives? One thing to look for is the the curing time - as far as I know the longer the curing process tougher the bond. One friend carpenter told me most epoxy adhesives with 24h curing process are similar and that I could just go and pick one (that is not the cheapest).

As I'm still inclined towards epoxy I was wondering if there is a general way of finding appropriate adhesive by looking at its specs or something?

Anybody building a wooden plane in Europe? What have you guys used?

Any info is the most welcome!

Take care everybody!

Latest posts

Back