• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts Horizontal Tail Corrosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takair

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had the fuselage blasted and I epoxy primed all. Very limited surface rust so it was a surprise to find a bunch of holes in the aft spar on the horizontal on the outboard end. The sandblasting was supervised and expert done, so something else had to be going on. I just directed the tube and much of it has pitting corrosion internal, on what I beleive is the lower side. The tube appeared to be plugged beyond where the stub spar slides in. Turned out that the plug was a cork!

The plane is an early Homestead built by the gang down there. Would this be a common way to seal the tube? I don’t see indication on the plans, so is this normally just open on one end? The rudder and elevator appear open and are not corroded. I can hear material rattling in the opposite stab too so I’m thinking I have the same issue. Going to try to replace both if I can extract the tube without destroying everything else.

1685809955133.jpeg

Latest posts

Back