• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts or Christen Eagle? Help me make this decision.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmark1

Registered Users
Reaction score
Dear Forum

As everyone probably knows from my "airsick" thread I am a 40 yr ex airline long time pilot but a newbie in the aerobatic world. My intention is to go head long into this sport and hopefully compete in the sportsman and intermediate world (I don't ever see myself going beyond that so those performance concerns are out). A few weeks ago I was "this close" to buying a Christen Eagle but it got sold before I could get my XXXX together so I have been in the market looking for a suitable airplane to fulfill my aerobatic ambitions with. I currently am faced with two choices:

A early 80's Christen Eagle that is well taken care of, has a low time engine and generally has been petted its entire life with very little aerobatic competition. The aircraft has very nice avionics, paint and a new annual

A early 90's Pitts S2- E that again is very well taken care of, has a mid time engine and has been involved extensively in aerobatic competition in its past.

Price is the same, although the Pitts is halfway across the country and the Eagle is in my backyard.

My question to all you sooth sayers here on the forum is which aircraft would be best for someone in my position. Although I have thousands of hours my tailwheel time can be measured in the low 50 hr range and all of that in a J3 Cub almost 25 years ago. I will need instruction from the start I know and fully intend to do that...

Which one is best for me? Pitts or Eagle (both are amateur built by very reputable builders by the way).

Thanks in advance guys!

:)

Latest posts

Back