• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts S-1 Sparcraft Wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmovies

Reaction score
A spirited discussion on another thread has a variety of strong opinions about Sparcraft Wings for Pitts S-1. One photo shows a structural failure of a Sparcraft wing that appears to be missing important structural elements and not built to plans. The deformed shape of the failed structure is absolutely consistent with the missing parts. Anyway I wanted to add my 2 cents but the thread is now closed.

Full disclosure - I have a Pitts S-1 for sale that has Sparcraft wings. That having been said, I flew my wings 160 hours with absolutely no problems. The build quality is fantastic and I always flew my plane well inside the design G limits. Any poorly built wing can suffer a structural failure. Same for a plane flown outside design G limits. A well-built structure that is flown within G limits will do just fine including Sparcraft wings. The one drawback is they are heavier than factory wings but I never had a concern about their strength. Furthermore I have a good friend who flew the hell out of his S-1 with Sparcraft wings and reports he never had a problem.

If you want the latest hot setup you need to build a set of Steen SS wings, Wolf wings, or Ultimate wings. Otherwise a traditional Pitts S-1 with Sparcraft wings is a fantastic plane for a majority of pilots out there. If Sparcraft wings are so much junk as some have claimed you’d have to wonder why so many planes have them. All calm and reasonable comments are welcome.

Paul Klusman
Pitts S-1 (for sale)
Pitts S-2

Latest posts

Back