• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pitts S1 Project for Sale

Hova

Reaction score
Looking to sell my S1 project in favor of buying a flying plane. I just flat out don't have time to work on it anymore and a few other life issues require the money.

It started life as two different flying planes that I was bringing together. Fuselage was originally a C with stretch and wings are off of an S (stick built wings).

The fuselage is a former racer with a huge cockpit stretch. Its complete, needs paint on fabric and a little refinement to make it perfect but could be airworthy with not much work. Has enlarged rudder but all control surfaces are covered and ready to go as well.

The wings came off of N888KK that was built by an acquaintances father originally. He flew it for quite a while, sold it, then it was bought back by the builders son (the aforementioned acquaintance) and he's had it ever since. He's upgrading his plane to Raven wings so I bought his old ones. They have no damage and could be airworthy as is but do have original 1978 fabric. Fabric does have a few patches and paint chips, scratches, ect like you would expect on wings that age. Fly em as is or recover them but the structure has been inspected and scoped and all looks great.

Has some go-fast parts if youre into that like a sweet kevlar cowling (only 9lbs) and racing canopy. I was going to use the cowling with plenum cooling and ditch the canopy in favor of a standard setup but either could work.

Basically its a complete airframe, engine mount, rigging, and everything needed to be flying fairly quickly. Ive had it all together as seen in the pictures and was able to get it rigged straight. Its currently taken apart again in my garage.

Not sure what I want to get on price just need it gone and keep my losses to a minimum so I can buy a flying S1 or similar and pay for some life expenses that popped up. I know most forums have rules stating prices must be listed so I'll say $8,000 for everything or make me a reasonable offer. Also willing to part out for the right prices as well. If you have a flying plane and want a project Im open to using it as partial trade as well.

Price: $8000 obo willing to part out
Condition: Complete but needs work (engine mount included, no engine)
Other: O-360 will be for sale when I have it back, currently being overhauled. Motorcycle in the pictures also for sale.

20160929_192355.jpg

20161022_174046-2.jpg

20161105_191517-2.jpg

20161120_151613.jpg

20170107_170104.jpg

Hova

Reaction score
This is a complete airframe thats ready for paint or recover it first and hang your engine on it. Price is negotiable. I'll help load it into your truck or will deliver it to you for expenses.

Hova

Reaction score
really surprised no one has snatched this up yet. No one wants a complete Pitts airframe?

jmorgan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Workspace is another limitation for some...i.e. me.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I'd love it...with the race canopy and all. So many planes, so little money and time. Good luck with sale. This is a heck of a deal!

toobuilder

Reaction score
really surprised no one has snatched this up yet. No one wants a complete Pitts airframe?
I feel your pain, brother!

I've had my Shortwing project airframe for sale forever and despite lots of interest, nobody can come up with the money- and I'm asking less than half of what you are.

Your Pitts is almost exactly what I'm looking for though. If things work out I'll be giving you a call.

...but dont hold your breath!

Edit: I dont mean to hijack this thread with another ad, but I have recieved a bunch of PM's about the above project so I thought I'd link my full ad here. Mods, feel free to delete if inappropriate. (The sale will clear the way for a Pitts however).

http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23630

Last edited:

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost twice a day another airplane is advertised on BS that I would have jumped on 20 years ago(but 20 years ago they would have been at least 50% more)

If I was 20-30 years younger I'd jump on this Pitts. But alas, I'm 70, airplane poor having two airplanes that are also worth about 1/2 what they might have fetched 10 years ago....

Fact seems to be what Dave Baxter has been saying, for the most part the guys who can fly these airplanes are dinosaurs, either dead or dying off....

TOO MANY AIRPLANES AND NOT ENOUGH PILOTS WHO CAN FLY THEM

Many if not most newer pilots can't conceive of building an airplane from plans or how they can be flown w/o a glass panel. If they do express interest in a vintage biplane they find they will have to spent close to $4000 for a 10 hour Pitts S2 checkout.

Add ABS-D and Private ATC etc. etc.....

More nails in the coffin.

Oh well

I hope the right person comes along to grab this Pitts!

Jack

PS I have a friend who offered me his S1C project for FREE if I promised to finish it. Before I got the AD-2, Couldn't do it at the time as I was LSA.

Last edited:

jmorgan

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Jack, if it makes you feel any better, I'm 24 years old. I can and will continue to be able to fly these things. And glass panels can kiss my a...alright they aren't so bad. But I do like a nice set of round dials too.

It probably doesn't make you feel better. But it makes me feel good knowing I'm one of very few 24 year old pilots (hell any age pilots) that can fly these things. That said, I need a lot of practice.

Hova

Reaction score
Im young, have the space to build, just no time anymore. Got a new job last year and dont have the 10-15 hours a week to spend on this. Gotta focus on my career if I want airplane money. That being said I do have time to fly. I'm really just trying to sell this, buy a flying Pitts then in a few years get another project to spend 10 years slowly building to perfection.

Eric_Anderson

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The sun still rises. The honeysuckle still smells like summer. My mechanic still has a backlog of biplanes to inspect, rebuild, repaint. People will continue to fly and compete. Looks like a nice project. Good luck!

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the trials of youth. I had a a Pitts and SD2 when I was younger then life intervened and I didn't get in an airplane for 23 years. My Spezio was started in 1969 and the structure completed in two years, then sat for almost 30 years until he got back to it. Covered/painted 1999-2002, by that time he was 86 and quit.....

Welcome to you young guys but I fear you are few?

If someone should come into the hangar and just has to have my airplanes........

I'll be heading to Colorado to pick-up a rental truck and your Pitts the NEXT day!

Jack

Last edited:

toobuilder

Reaction score
Want is one thing, afford is something else.
Depends on the context of "afford".

The advertised price is but one aspect- the hourly rate for the divorce attorney if I don't offload the Shortwing first is quite another!

Hova- You dont happen to know anybody between Me and you looking for a "Bearhawk like" or other similar type utility airplane do you? If so, I'd be willing to deliver the Shortwing on the way out to pick up your Pitts! ;)

Last edited:

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea that is a problem. I could afford another airplane....I guess. But it would be ME who would need the divorce attorney.

Frankly I think Marcia is quite understanding as regards the two airplanes. But one more, ESPECIALLY a Pitts would be the "straw".....

Of coarse I know enough to NEVER complain about the horses.

Jack

Hova

Reaction score
Depends on the context of "afford".

The advertised price is but one aspect- the hourly rate for the divorce attorney if I don't offload the Shortwing first is quite another!

Hova- You dont happen to know anybody between Me and you looking for a "Bearhawk like" or other similar type utility airplane do you? If so, I'd be willing to deliver the Shortwing on the way out to pick up your Pitts! ;)
That depends, where are you?

toobuilder

Reaction score
Ooops... Thought that was in my signature...

I'm in So Cal. Mojave.

Latest posts