• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Pitts S1S Engine Mount Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgardner

Reaction score
Hi gang-

Just got an engine for my S1S Project, an IO-360-B4A. Should be here later this week.

I am still in need of an engine mount, however, after comparing the location of my mounting holes on the fuse to the Steen Aero Lab Plans, I noticed that the upper holes are slightly lower and narrower than called for.

Cartesian Custom Tube in Canada sent me a drawing yesterday that had some diagonal dimensions on it, and we are debating a "custom" engine mount, however, I'm almost wondering if it is best to buy a stock engine mount, which should match my lower mounting hole location, and re-locate the upper mounting holes, even though that is a bit of a chore.

The Cartesian Drawing shows 18.712 for the bottom hole width, I got 18 11/16th (Decimal equivalent is 18.6875, so a .0245 difference)

The upper hole width sould be 26.750, I'm at 25 6/16

Height should be 18 inches, I show 17 7/16 for both left and right.

Diaganols (not shown on Steen plans) show 18.443 direct from the lower mounting holes to the upper--I have 17 11/16 on the left hand side of the fuselage and 17 12/16 on the right hand side of the fuselage.

Diagonals from the Upper hole to the opposite side lower hole show 28.995

For the Lower right to upper left, I show 27 15/16

For the Lower Left to Upper Right, I show 28 2/16

From my measurements yesterday, my upper right hole is slightly wider and slightly taller.

Thoughts, comments welcome. I can send my measurements to Cartesian and see what they say, but I'm still tempted, even though it would be labor intensive, to buy a stock mount from them/Steen/Raven (anyone else supply them?) and put the upper holes where they should be.

Also need to confirm that the -B4A will mate to the 33521 Dynofocal ring from Spruce.

Doug

Latest posts

Back