• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Plans built biplane - European microlight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluttonfred

Registered Users
Reaction score

Hi, ho, all, I haven't been very active in this group but I am back with a question. What homebuilt biplanes are out there, with plans still available, that will fit in the European microlight category? I do my flying in microlights in France and I am wondering what biplane projects I might consider. Here are the rules in a nutshell:<ul>[*]Max. gross weight of 300 kg/661 lb (single-seater) or 450 kg/992 lb (two-seater)[*]Max. continuous engine power of 61 hp (single-seater) or 80 hp (two-seater)[*]Landing speed of 65 kph/40 mph/35 knots[/list]Note that the engine power is the continous rating, not the max rating, and the minimum speed is in the landing configuration power off. Also, just to be difficult,I would prefer a four-stroke engine, say a VW conversion or an A-65.
The designs that I know of so far are from Fisher (Youngster, maybe Classic) and Ragwing (Special I and II, perhaps the Tiger Moth on a diet). There is a pretty German design called a Kieblitz but the plans cost $1,300! There are the Graham Lee Nieuports (11 is fine as a single seater, 12 might be doable as a two-seater).
What am I forgetting? Are there any of the older plans-built designs that might work?
Maybe I need to tackle my own replica project...let's see, how about a scaled-down DH60 Moth with a VW out front.... ;-)

Edited by: Matthew L

Latest posts

Back