• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Putting My Skybolt on a Diet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFSOJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again

I just picked up one of the construction manuals after a very nice visit with Larry at Steen AeroLab, last week. Hale talks about keeping the weights of 200 HP Bolts to under 1175# when completed. SOJ comes in at 1178#, while not too much extra, I would like to put SOJ on a diet and change a few things. The fabric and paint will be renewed in 3 years time, so that will free up some ounces, if I do it right....

So back to what I can change in the short-term:

A Catto 3-blade prop comes to mind to start with for the I0-360, instead of the Hoffman 2-blade FP. Would anyone running this engine and prop config have any advice for me?

My Hoffman is bang-on 2500 rpm at full throttle and seems to be a great fit, but would love to hear from the Catto owners.

I presently have Cleveland wheels & brakes, a heavy Scott 3200 on the back-end and a panel full of steam gauges. The panel is being dealt with over the winter as we (my avionics guy and I), try to make a map of the disaster that is the wiring and electrical system, I inherited with this airplane. Putting in a new Trig TY 91, GT-50, AV-30, which will take out most of the steam gauges, the old ICOM A200 radio and the intercom panel. I would also like to remove my engine instruments and go with either the GRT EIS 4000, or the EMS-2 from MGL, however that will be next winter’s project.

So back to my question:

I love my Clevelands and the Scott tailwheel, next winter all the wheels are coming off for overhaul and I was wondering what folks are using instead of these brands?!

I am going to be using the MATCO wheels & brakes on my Boredom Fighter, but that is a different class of biplane altogether

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back