• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Putting My Skybolt on a Diet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFSOJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello again

I just picked up one of the construction manuals after a very nice visit with Larry at Steen AeroLab, last week. Hale talks about keeping the weights of 200 HP Bolts to under 1175# when completed. SOJ comes in at 1178#, while not too much extra, I would like to put SOJ on a diet and change a few things. The fabric and paint will be renewed in 3 years time, so that will free up some ounces, if I do it right....

So back to what I can change in the short-term:

A Catto 3-blade prop comes to mind to start with for the I0-360, instead of the Hoffman 2-blade FP. Would anyone running this engine and prop config have any advice for me?

My Hoffman is bang-on 2500 rpm at full throttle and seems to be a great fit, but would love to hear from the Catto owners.

I presently have Cleveland wheels & brakes, a heavy Scott 3200 on the back-end and a panel full of steam gauges. The panel is being dealt with over the winter as we (my avionics guy and I), try to make a map of the disaster that is the wiring and electrical system, I inherited with this airplane. Putting in a new Trig TY 91, GT-50, AV-30, which will take out most of the steam gauges, the old ICOM A200 radio and the intercom panel. I would also like to remove my engine instruments and go with either the GRT EIS 4000, or the EMS-2 from MGL, however that will be next winter’s project.

So back to my question:

I love my Clevelands and the Scott tailwheel, next winter all the wheels are coming off for overhaul and I was wondering what folks are using instead of these brands?!

I am going to be using the MATCO wheels & brakes on my Boredom Fighter, but that is a different class of biplane altogether

Cheers

Dave

Latest posts

Back