• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Raven S-2XS Flight Report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven2xs

Registered Users
Reaction score
I just finished todays flying in the Raven and all I can say is WOW! There really is no such thing as "too much horsepower". I was off the ground before I had the throttle all the way up and at about 60 Deg climb I was still accelerating through 120MPH. I like the locking tailwheel better than the steerable one as I think it made takeoff's and landing's a little more manageable.Stalls, spins and aerobatics was very pleasant especially with a 400 HP Ly-Con. What can I say, if I screwed up the maneuver the Raven just powered through it anyway. Lots of fun. The only gripe was the spades didn't work so roll forces were on the high side. I took them off and there was no noticeable change. Mike Wiskus is having some bigger shovels made so when I get those I'll tune those in instead of messing with the ones that came with it. The builders went with electric trim which will take some getting use to for aerobatics. I'd have stayed with the manual trim if I'd built it, but electric is ok just not great.Landings are pretty straight forward. I'm still getting used to the spring gear but if I am between 90MPH and 85MPH over the numbers it lands very well. I am making all the approaches with power, because if I pull the power to idle not only will it decelerate very fast it will have a very high sink rate to maintain 95MPH. Therefore I am keeping power through out the approach to keep the prop off the stops.All in all I am VERY happy with the Raven and to all of you building one out there you are going to love it. I'd post pics but I can't seem to figure out how, sorry.

Latest posts

Back