• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Raven vs Haigh Tailwheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Haigh on my Pitts works but is a bit banged up. I had to weld it a few months ago and, unrelated to the weld, the wheel leans a bit in the vertical giving it a strong tendency to turn right. I was thinking of switching to a steerable tailwheel but Kevin91 offered a new Raven at a good price and I snagged it thinking it would be identical. However it is not. My Haigh is straight for about 5 inches from bolt to clamp before angling down to the wheel. The Raven begins the angle at about 2". Therefore there is a bit of vertical space at the clamp. This space isn't big and could probably be shimmed. But that clamp takes a huge lateral load (sometimes). Could it be that my bolt-to-clamp distance is non-standard or is that there is more than one configuration to the Raven 4" wheel? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

Latest posts

Back