• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Refreshing the Gordon Nauta SA-100

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyboltone

Reaction score
OK, it's time I guess to have a separate thread for this refresh. The fellow that did the vast majority of the work bringing it back to life was Paul Schlecker of Stony Plain Alberta. He does on occasion pop up here on the forum and I want to give credit where credit is due. If he hadn't stumbled onto this poor wreck it would have died of negligence. He did a masterful job.

You can find out a bunch about it's story prior to Paul's acquisition here:
http://www.angelfire.com/or/cash4u/program.html

I'll upload some photo's later this week of my current progress. For now, the airplane is partially disassembled with the wings hanging on the hanger wall. I've got a few days of further disassembly before I snatch the engine out of there.

Here's a quote on the parts order I have made to build up a light weight experimental O-320. I'll be using a Sterba propeller of about 76 x 52 or 74 x 54. it depends on what sort of ground clearance I can get.

1 ea new 0-290D2 crankcase
1 ea experimental 0-320 crankshaft
4 ea OH'ed connecting rods
4 ea new piston pins
1 ea new major overhaul gasket set with rubber
1 ea new crank gear bolt
8 ea new rod bolts
8 ea new rod nuts
8 ea new main bearings, std
4 ea new ECI nickel cylinders, narrow deck
1 ea OH'ed camshaft
8 ea OH'ed lifters with used hydraulics
4 ea OH'ed rocker arms, exhaust
4 ea new rocker arms, intake
8 ea new rod bearings

Parts package total $9113.15
Estimated freight is $320
There will be an additional charge of $250 to machine the case to take the O-320 cylinders.
The sump, carb, accessory case, mags, exhaust,baffling, and fiddly bits will come from the GPU that Gordon built for the airplane. So not too bad for what will be essentially an new engine.

I noticed yesterday that there is NO AIR CLEANER on the airplane!!! Carb heat is there. No primer system. So here we go.

Latest posts

Back