• Become a Subscribing Member today!

The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.
    • We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).
    • Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Become a Subscribing Member and access the Biplane Forum in full!

Subscribe Now

Rev limiter on fixed pitch?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
So, I have a question…. No reason other than just to learn something.

OK, I have radio controlled helicopters. On these helicopters I have governors that ensure that my head speed always stays at a specific RPM.

So here I was Saturday trying to fly the sportsman sequence. On the downlines I was trying to remember what I was told and to keep power in so that I get my speed back up faster to ensure I have a shorter downline and save altitude. I found that it was SUPER easy to go to and through redline on the RPM's. I thought…. Why not have a governor that prevents over speeding even with a fixed pitch prop?

So….Why not? It would be a great benefit if I could just throw the throttle level fwd and not have to worry about my engine going past redline. Yes, I know that a constant speed prop will do this, but again going back to my RC heli's the governor is really small and weighs nothing.

1. So is this just a stupid idea?

2. Has something like this ever been tried?

3. How would YOU do it? I am thinking it would require an electric box that actually controlled the fuel flow OR the most basic setup would be a servo motor that would control the throttle and the "throttle" level would really just control the servo and the electronics would prevent over speeding.

Again, not really suggesting anything, just a thought I had.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back