• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

RPM Problem!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf92

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I began flying the BF9-2 in late August 2020. Right from the start I had rpm problems, that is the governor wasn't maintaining constant engine speed. At first it was masked by erroneous tachometer readings. There would be sudden jumps in indicated rpm by as much as 1,000rpm, but with no sound or apparent prop pitch changes. The solution was disconnecting the cannon plug and spraying both sides with contact cleaner. After that rpm readings maintained steady readings. However, during those overspeed indications, when I pulled the prop control full-aft, there would be no response to the prop.

On later flights the prop would respond appropriately on ground run-up, but in the air it would sometimes seem to not respond. On my last flight a few weeks ago, all was normal on run-up, but when I took off the rpm went up to 3,200. I was too far down the runway to land again, so I throttle back as far as I could and still maintain flying speed. I was back to 15"MP and the rpm was at 3,150, and I was at minimum speed of 80MPH. I flew a short pattern 300 feet below pattern altitude and made a safe landing.

The prop is a 98" MTV-9 with 28 hrs since new. The governor has been sent to West Coast Governor. They said it was normal on the test stand; they replaced the spring and have shipped it back to me (arriving next week). I am just wondering if anyone has experience with this condition: full-aft prop control and zero response to the pitch.

Thanks,

Danny

Attachments

• IMG_0330.JPG
    IMG_0330.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back