• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S-1S alternator switch intermittent?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philly5g

Back in the S-1S gang
Reaction score
My alternator on/off has suddenly become intermittent and I'm not sure of how the wiring circuit looks and whether the panel mounted On/Off switch is controlling a relay or switch in the alternator, or is just a switch in the alternator power line?

I started the engine on Friday and the voltmeter immediately jumped to positive charge, BEFORE I'd turned the alternator on. I toggled the switch on and off and the positive charge remained, so I assumed the switch had become u/s, particularly on the 2nd flight that day when the same thing happened.

Yesterday morning I took the panel switch out and measured resistance across the terminals, which was about 1400 ohms, which increased to infinity when I switched off the alt field switch. I disconnected one of the leads and tested the switch itself, which correctly read 0 and infinity resistance when cycled on and off. I reconnected the lead, remounted the switch and restarted the engine, no charge initially and then charging when I switched the alt on.

Later, I started the engine to fly and the alternator went straight onto charging again before I'd switched on the alt....... I switched off the alt field and the charging voltage went down a little, but still showed a charge......!!??

Does anybody recognise these symptoms?:eek:

Latest posts

Back