• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

OX RACES AND THE FASTEST OX WACO

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete51577

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd post this here as some of you may be interested or have more info. These photos are from a lot I have from the Mercer Airport in NJ in 1929-1932. On the field was Thropp Flying Service, which was a typical late 20s-early 30s operation, likely mostly ride-hopping, some instruction, and the occasional charter. It was run by Jack Thropp, who, on the side, had his own money-making, thrill-seeking going on, namely: OX racing. OX racing was precisely what it sounds like - racing the old OX biplanes at air shows. All of the OX ships were welcome...the Waco 10s, Travel Air 2000's, etc., etc. Some guys ran them basically stock, other ran them modified with raked windscreens and faired-over front holes, and some of the real sickos went all in with heavy airframe and engine mods. Think of this as a serious kind of aerial jalopy racing. One person I researched quite a bit was Dick Bennett from Binghamton, NY. He had a fairly stock Travel Air 2000, but heavily modified his engine (unsure how.) He was killed when his engine exploded during a race which sent him into the ground uncontrollably. He and Jack Thropp were at the top of the OX racing game in the northeast in the period. Thropp went another direction and built up his "Waco Special" from several wrecked Waco 10s. It was in every way the airplane-equivalent of a chopped and channeled hot rod. Clipped wings, shortened fuselage, rigid gear, etc. These photos were in the lot and the only ones I've ever seen of it. This would be a fun plane to replicate! If anyone has more information on OX racing, its planes and pilots, or photos, please share!! Enjoy!

NJT-THROPP#1.jpgNJT-THROPP#2.jpgNJT-THROPP#3.jpgD26352AE-3F17-4F95-B1DE-9427D160DF5B.jpeg

Latest posts

Back