• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

S1 custom smoke tank design advice needed arghh!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racecrest

Reaction score
Hey guys finally took the plunge, my s1 i am building over here in Ireland is a wolfpitts s1, I am building it from a steen aero produced frame, I have one problem which keeps on coming back to bite me in the a&s,,,! I am trying to build a custom tank for my smoke system, I don't want to locate it in the conventional spots (wing or between legs) as I have ear marked these for fuel tanks already as I will be using it to cross the vast ocean which is known as the Irish sea!!!! to fly into the uk on a regular basis for competitions hence I want more range.what I am proposing to do is to fabricate a tank from sheet aluminium to take up the space between the frame and the belly skin in the shape of the belly it will be placed in the area forward of the stick . I also hope to use a thick grade with the out side sheet of the tank so it will double as the exterior belly skin. I would just like to put it out to all the Pitts profs out there for some opinions, is it a dumb ass idea...? Or is it workable? Thanks in advance in accessing this ideas feasibility from both a practical point of view

Regards

Mark

Latest posts

Back