• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

SA750 W&B Good news/BAD news

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, very bad news for several hours.....Plane was so tail heavy that I could fly w/150# of fuel but not with 140#.......:mad: Until I realized my 20" mistake in TW arm.

Anyway, good news is that I have beat my empty weight goal by almost 50#. Goal was 950# and today my measured weight was 916# and there is 3-4 gal. fuel in it that I need to drain/weigh. It might actually be under 900# which would be remarkable(even for me-NOT:rolleyes:)

Now after finding my mistake I would be just inside the rear CG limit w/zero fuel and just me.

Bottom line is that I can handle the weight of a metal prop. and it will move GC forward almost an inch(as I recall).

Talk about a wacko day! I was overjoyed when I read the scale, 421# Rmain, 420.5# Lmain and 75# TW

Then I ran the numbers and felt like pouring gas on it and lighting a match. It looked like only solution was new mount which would be like starting over. Even a CS prop would not get me to a zero fuel within CG range. I was really deflated to say the least.

I reweighed and ran the (same) numbers and got the same answer. Then after looking at the plans W&B AGAIN I saw my error and sorrow turned to joy....:D

Then after I got home a friend called and told of a rifle that had been my quest for 20 years had surfaced. I no longer collect Mauser military rifles and have sold my collection but a M1892 Spanish Mauser had been my #1 goal. Thought to have been made in some numbers it seems only experimental examples exist, only 4-5 know and 3 of those in museums. Anyway not to be. The auction estimate is $5000-$15000.

No, I will NOT trade an airplane for it. I'd still like to find one but it needs to be a sleeper in some shop for $300......

Anyway an interesting day

Jack

PS, Eric (with the 74DM7-62 prop FS) if you see this, I have been reminded by another forum member of the 74DM-58 we were discussing back in Feb. so if I go metal I'll likely go with it. Thanks

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back