• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Sheet Metal Shaping Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am struggling a little with this, I still have a couple of things to try out, but I figure I would put this out there to see if any of you metal shaping gurus can shed any light on my issue.
I am fabricating the exhaust tunnel area. The belly sheet metal, when in place, sits nice everywhere - except at 2a and 3a. To get this hump to sit down, I have to raise the sheet at the front. So, this means I have to either add a curve to the sheet as it falls to the firewall (4a), or do 'something' locally at the hump location (2a and 3a).
I did have the same hump issue at 1b, but I fixed that by forcing the sheet to a curved profile (1a).
The test material is 6061-t6 0.25, not the best temper for this, I gather, but it is what I had to hand. For the final piece, I plan on using something like 5052.
Any guidance would be appreciated.
20110610_065146_ramp1.jpg

20110610_065208_ramp2.jpg

20110610_065227_ramp3.jpg

20110610_065254_ramp4.jpg

Latest posts

Back