• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Skybolt FS - 2015 build

cashflyer

Reaction score

cashflyer

Reaction score
Well, there have been 117 views since I posted this yesterday.
What can I do to turn those views into interest?
(Other than price it like a C150.)

Last edited:

raymoeller

Reaction score
I think I would personally post 1 or 2 pics of the exterior, then one of the open engine compartment, one of the rear cockpit area, then one of something else... but all your pics (on the leader page) are exterior, and probably leave people wondering.. not everyone opens up the specs pages.
just my thoughts on it.

Last edited:

cashflyer

Reaction score
Thanks Ray. I think Barnstormers limits me to 5 photos, so I will need to drop some and add some new ones.

bipedream

Registered Users
Reaction score
The low hours may be a negative for some folks.

The message sent when saying you did the minimum time for phase 1 and then bought something else is you didn't like it.

You may think about wording the ad differently.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I agree about the pictures -- the set I'd want to see is three external photos (ideally outdoors in beautiful weather), one instrument panel/rear cockpit photo, and one engine compartment photo to show off the awesome 25 hour-ness of it. That's an ideal list, but the five external photos would turn me off. If I were truly in the market for a Skybolt, I would certainly open the spec sheet and be satisfied, but that doesn't help with first-impressions and browsers who might be but aren't yet interested.

I think the price may actually be too low -- a lot of the Skybolts I've seen have been in the $45-65k range, and I'd expect a brand new one with 25 hours on the engine to be priced in about the middle of the price range.

The wording is fine to me, though your one opinion-ish comment is "No squawks," which is two negatives in a row. You could say, "Beautiful plane with no problems, but..." and cover the same ground more positively.

Good luck selling the plane, it looks beautiful!

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm curious how you got a 25 hr phase 1......

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but in the barnstormer ad it states it's been modded with sky dynamics stuff......

cashflyer

Reaction score
I agree about the pictures -- the set I'd want to see is three external photos (ideally outdoors in beautiful weather), one instrument panel/rear cockpit photo, and one engine compartment photo to show off the awesome 25 hour-ness of it.
If it will quit raining here, I will take it outside for some photos!

The message sent when saying you did the minimum time for phase 1 and then bought something else is you didn't like it.
The plane flies great, and it is a lot of fun. In the 5 or 6 years that I worked on it, my flying goals changed. I wouldn't say that I don't like the plane, but it is no longer what I want or need. And yes, I put it up for sale as soon as the Phase 1 was completed. I wanted to sell it sooner to offset the cost of the new aircraft, but several people suggested I complete the Phase 1 so there would be no restrictions for a new owner. Now I need to sell it for hangar space and to offset some of the cost of the new aircraft.

I think the price may actually be too low -- a lot of the Skybolts I've seen have been in the $45-65k range, and I'd expect a brand new one with 25 hours on the engine to be priced in about the middle of the price range.
I'm certainly willing to take more money!
The planes I see with higher prices are usually 6-cylinder. I felt like the price was in line with the 4-cylinder planes ... but maybe I am wrong.

I'm curious how you got a 25 hr phase 1......
I asked for it.
My DAR sent the paperwork to Regional and they allowed it.

Though it has some non-certified parts on it, the engine itself and all internals are certified, built by an A&P using Lycoming manuals and Lycoming parts, and with all ADs in compliance. And it is running a certified Sensenich prop, which was new.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If it will quit raining here, I will take it outside for some photos!
Yeah, sometimes ideal and real don't quite meet up. :D The external shots you have are fine, and should be enough to lure any interested buyers to take a better look.

Don't put much weight on my comment about price -- I wasn't looking for Skybolts, I just happened to notice them when they passed by. My comment was based on the "if it costs more, it must be better" logic that I find myself applying sometimes. If it's new, super low time, and no problems, then I'm suspicious if it costs too little. It triggers that, "What's he not putting in the ad?" reaction -- not that you're leaving anything out, that's just one of my instinctive reactions, and it may be shared by others. You might catch a few more people if it was priced at (say) $50k or $55k who see a high-value Skybolt that they might be able to talk you down on.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the FAA guts didn't think the sump/intake was an issue....or they were new to little airplanes....or.........

I have sometimes found the FAA is the same as the ATF, ask three inspectors/agents the same question and get three different answers. The guys at my FSDO don't seem to make any decisions but call Ok. City at lest as regards experimental?

My engine is certified with AD's up to date but a FP was never certified on a IO320B1A. Even though there is a Lycoming SB on conversion and there is no real issue with the certified Sen. 74DM6 prop./crank combo they(he) wouldn't give me 25 hours. I was talking to the MIDO inspector on the phone and he was thinking about it out loud and finally said, "I better not" and put down 40 hours.

Just turned 30 hours and all test are done so I get to spend another $400 on gas......

Oh well:)

Jack

Last edited:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cash, since you asked I only offer my opinion but I agree the quick sale is a negative as it looks like it didn't meet your goals or expectations. Aside from that it looks like a great plane and build quality looks great...but the low hours and quick sale combined with no paint trim from the rear seat forward and no wheel pants make it seem like you rushed the finish just to sell and hopefully not loose as much as you would have if left in "project" form. I don't mean to sound negative as it's a great looking plane, but the lack of wheel pants and no paint on the metal parts other than the base color make it look like you just wanted it done so you can sell. And that's OK. Maybe accident or whatever plays a part but I'm my opinion these things really look "finished and completed" with wheel pants. Kind of like a Starduster Too with no spats and no pants...just doesn't look as sexy as it can and should with alittle money and time I believe it would benefit and be easier to sell and probably make back the money spent on alittle paint and fiberglass. The wings and rest of the paint scheme is very nice...I just think there is something to add to make the fuselage appear to fit and be "finished".

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like them better with pants too.

That said I would not be put off by the low time. I suppose I'd ask but would accept your reason for selling. There are many uncompleted "projects" out there where the builder lost interest or whatever and they are a hard sell at 1/2 their cost.

You had the guts to finish it and fly off phase 1 and now have a great like new airplane and hopefully it will make someone very happy. IMO worth every penny. Of coarse it's a buyer's market so I wish you luck to find the right buyer.

What is your new bird?

Regards,

Jack

cashflyer

Reaction score
no paint trim from the rear seat forward and no wheel pants
I agree with you that there is a lot of surface area with nothing to catch the eyes. I've had some people tell me that they felt it would be too "busy" if I added anything to the sides, and I have other people who feel that it is too "empty".

As for the wheel pants, they look good but I didn't like the idea of running them on turf to get smutched-up. I guess I could put them on for photos to accompany the photo that shows them in the spec sheet.

What is your new bird?
I'm afraid to say. I will be excommunicated from the biplane club.

Oh well... here it is:

144PH.jpg

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I wont vote you off the island, that's a cool little egg beater........ :)

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The new one has three wings and they're kinda' small. Not sure how that thing could ever fly....

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I concur, I've always had a secret desire to own one about that size.

Latest posts