• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Spar damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airbiker

Reaction score
Tonight I was working on the cleanup of the other lower wing to prep for the new aileron install. I was (carefully) using a japanese pull saw to help remove some parts that wouldn't be needed or would be replaced as things went back together. I was trying to separate a piece of quarter inch ply from a rib on one end, when the saw hit a void and dug into the top of the rear spar.

As I regained my composure and the cursing died down, I finished cleaning up the area so that I could see how much damage I had done. The saw cut a neat little slot right next to the rib that is about 1/16" deep on the front and 1/8" deep on the rear of the spar. It's just inside of the inboard rib on the I-strut bay. Bad place to mess with the spar.

You can see the detail in the pictures below (not talking about the cracked corner block).

So here's the question of the hour. Is there a way to repair this without replacing the rear spar from here to the tip? If I need to, I can remove about half the spar and have plenty of room to do a nice scarf inboard of the damage. I'm hoping that isn't necessary, but sometimes that's just the way goes. Let me know if that is overkill.

Thanks,
Ian

20120221_224442_DSCN1658.jpg

20120221_224506_DSCN1659.jpg

20120221_224518_DSCN1661.jpg

Latest posts

Back